Untitled Part 50

Yes, yes, yes, yes! My crazed hormones screamed, but my mouth refused to work.

Brett must have taken my silence for consent because he continued to close the gap until his lips grazed mine. The kiss bore the same uncertainty, the same restraint as before. He pulled back, waiting to see how I would react.

I pressed my arms against my sides to keep from jumping him like I did last time.

However, when I didn't knee him in the groin, he repeated the kiss. This time, he was out to make a bold statement. No hesitancy. No restraint. Just his lips firmly molding mine, teasing me, tempting me.

The pit of my stomach throbbed as he continued to kiss me, slow and steady in contrast with the disjointed fluttering of my heart. We both managed to keep our hands off of each other-mine at my sides and his above my head. Perhaps it was our way of making sure our shirts stayed on this time while still thoroughly enjoying the connection.

Brett ended the contact between our lips, but he didn't retreat. His face hovered near mine, the tips of our noses touching. "You drive me nuts, Alexis Wyndham."

"Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels that way."

He was moving forward to kiss me again when his mom called his name from the end of the hallway. He bolted from me like I'd burned him, a curse dropping from those delectable lips of his.

I slid down the wall onto the mattress and managed to hug the doll to my chest just as his mom opened the door.

She glanced at me, then at him, and back again. "Brett, you know the rules about having guests over past eight o'clock on a school night."

"Yes, Mum, but Alexis is here helping me with our class assignment that's due tomorrow."

I did a double take at the screen. Somehow, he'd managed to hide all the open windows pertaining to the voyeur and pull up the worksheet on stress relief that we were supposed to be working on.

She scanned the homework, then looked back at me as though she was trying to spot any evidence of unscholarly activities.

I forced a smile on my face and hugged the doll even tighter. "We're just about to wrap things up, Mrs. Pederson."

She gave Brett a stern glance, wagging her finger at him. "Fifteen more minutes, and then she has to go. You need to rest for the game tomorrow."

When she left, she didn't close the door all the way.

I was glad she didn't. It would be too tempting to pick up where we left off if she had.

Brett lowered the window with the assignment and brought back Adam Kozlovsky's ID. "Back to this-I did a little more digging on him, and I wanted to intercede on his behalf."

"Wait a minute." I jumped to my feet and whirled his chair around. "Just a few minutes ago, you said you'd want revenge if it were your sisters. Why is my mine any different? I mean, besides the fact Taylor's a hot mess and Sarah seems to have her shit together?"

"I'm not going to go into details," he said slowly, the wariness behind his words hinting at how much those details had him on edge, "but I really think you should handle him delicately."

"Give me a damn good reason why I shouldn't plaster his face all over the front page of my blog."

Brett leaned back in his chair and rubbed his eyes as though trying to reason with me was the most exhausting thing he'd ever done. Maybe it was. I was notoriously stubborn. But in this case, I had the upper hand. I had justice on my side. "Remember what I told you last week about compassion and happiness?"