Chapter XXVII

Summer 1347, Tower of London, London, England

One year before Joan's final journey, the contract of marriage between Joan of England and Pedro of Castile was finalised and officially signed. It was decided the marriage would occur the following year, enough time for King Edward III to put together a dowry and put together a wealth presentation to parade through Europe to show off England's glory on the way to the Spanish countries.

The letter exchange continued, and Joan grew more eager to finally meet her prince.

Calais, France

Edward's siege of Calais had gone on for more than a year.

The English troops had surrounded the well-fortified port. During the first winter and spring, the French were still able to get supplies through port, but by late spring, the English gained command of the harbour and cut off their supplies.

The French commander and nobleman Jean de Vienne wrote to King Philip VI that food sources were exhausted.

King Philip brought reinforcement troops of 20,000 men to Calais. When they arrived, they were met with 50,000 entrenched English and Flemish men and had to abandon their effort.

France surrendered their crucial port. Edward had won, at great cost of resources, men, and time. But it was a crucial win and strategic port that now could launch the rest of his French conquest.

Queen Phillippa, heavily pregnant again, had joined him to give support to the Flemish troops, and then ensure they were paid and sent back to Flanders once the battle was won.

"I rule Calais now," Edward declared to his military commanders. "I want every Frenchman from here removed. They will not be loyal. They do not deserve to live under my protection. They must surrender or be executed. But I will spare these citizens -- if six of their leaders sacrifice themselves for the safe release of the others. The rest of them will have their spirits broken but will be allowed to live."

The message was sent inside the city. One of the wealthiest town leaders, Eustace de Saint Pierre, volunteered first. The burghers were a class of private citizens of great wealth that made up the community leaders. Based on Saint Pierre's courage, five more burghers volunteered to spare the city and more death. Saint Pierre led the envoy, all with nooses placed around their necks, wearing only thin shirts that reached their waists, and all kissed goodbye to their wives and children who openly wept. Saint Pierre carried the keys to the city to hand over to Edward.

Word had gotten back to Queen Phillippa that the group execution was imminent. Despite her aching body, she made her way to the city entrance where her husband awaited the burghers.

"My Lord husband!" she cried. She pulled him aside. "You cannot do this."

"Calais has demanded so much for me in the past year. England has lost many good men. When God determined I should win, then I must smite the rebels for their loss," Edward said.

Philippa touched her belly. She had spared King David II of Scotland, and peace ensued. She had no bloodlust, but she had observed how vengeance killings lead to vengeance killings and more battles and more war.

"These good and decent men are willing to die per your request despite committing no crime but living in Calais," she observed. "Our child is due in one month. It would be a bad omen to have innocent men killed on the brink of a prince's birth. Spare them, remove them from their homes if you command it, but don't place any risk to a healthy son by risking God's wrath."

Edward nodded and gave her words some consideration. He looked at the desperate men in rags, trying to keep their faces neutral with the nooses ready to be strung up at a moment's notice.

"My wife advises me to exercise pardon, and I will grant her request. No man shall die today. Return to your families, and all citizens must leave their towns with their possessions and their families immediately."

Eustace Saint Pierre thanked the king, and all who offered sacrifice thanked God to live another day. The French left town, and English populated the town, but it was as peaceful a transition as possible.

And so the Warrior King got his city, and the Peaceful Queen was remembered as the heroine of the battle. Kings throughout time had shown no mercy in war. Philippa's compassion and her husband's willingness to listen to her ensured the continuing love from their citizens.

Windsor Castle, Windsor, England

Queen Phillippa had returned to England to give birth for the eleventh time. Prince Thomas was born one evening, beautifully healthy and with strong cries and easily latching to a wet nurse. She knew her husband was set to return to England once he finalised everything in Calais, so she did not send word until his return.

Autumn 1347, Puch near Fürstenfeldbruck, Holy Roman Empire

The Holy Roman Emperor, Louis IV, suffered a stroke while bear hunting and died. His father had died fighting against the English in the Battle of Crécy. Louis himself had fought but escaped. Once a friend to England and then an enemy, King Edward was glad to see him go. But he had been a surrogate father to Joan for two years, and she prayed for his soul when she found out.

London, England

King Edward and Prince Edward returned to England. It was the first time the King, Queen, and all of their children were in England together in quite a long time.

Multiple tournaments were held to celebrate. Soldiers and noblemen gathered to melee, show off hand to hand combat, show off feats of strength by lifting heavy objects, archery competitions and jousts. Any fighting competition was done with blunt objects for the enjoyment of the crowd and not to inflict any pain.

Lords from all over the country came to celebrate the wins at Crécy-en-Ponthieu and Calais.

"To the King of England and France!" they cheered.

Prince Edward was the star of the tourney. Joan said to Isabella from their viewing seats, "they are letting him win."

"They didn't let him win at Crécy. Perhaps he is better than they are," Isabella countered.

Joan had gained no affection for her brother in the years since they last shared a residence. Either if he won justly or the other knights let him win, Joan loved watching the events, especially the jousting because it involved horses. Most of her days were spent endlessly learning languages, learning Castilian customs, learning musical instruments, and practising needlework with only occasional chances to go outside and ride horses. Her father's celebration tournament was the most excitement she had experienced in months.

At supper, congratulations were made to the King and Prince as well as good Queen Philippa for her roles in the Battle at Neville's Cross against the Scots and the Siege of Calais against the French.

Joan applauded her family. The King turned to her next. "And let us cheer for the upcoming first marriage of one of my children when Princess Joan marries Prince Pedro."

Everyone in the dining hall cheered before eating started.

Joan blushed. As the third child, she had always felt less valued than Isabella. But the honour of picking her to be married first filled Joan with joy. She would make her parents proud. She would be a good wife. She felt in her heart that if God had granted favour to her family, life would continue as well as it had.