Chapter X

Over the next couple of weeks, Emperor Louis and King Edward solidified their joint alliance against King Philip VI of France. It was known that Philip protected the new Pope Benedict XII against interacting directly with the emperor. The emperor was unable to secure papal approval of his claim to the empire, so he had a Declaration at Rhense that a majority of electors could decide who was emperor without papal confirmation. Louis had long since thought France had too much influence on the southern HRE and on the Pope.

Louis named Edward the Vicar-General of the HRE as a gesture of respect. Edward explained to Joan how it was an important title because the two leaders were now good friends. They had a common enemy but different goals: Edward to rule France and Louis to align with the Pope without France in the way.

As summer drew to a close, Joan became restless to return home. She had thought the alliance was assured, but every day the Englishman and the Bavarian met privately for long stretches of time. Edward was very vague on what the meetings entailed.

"You like it here, don't you, Joan? Your Latin is very much improved and you're picking up German very well," the king said one afternoon.

"I suppose," Joan replied, although she wanted to return home but didn't want to upset her father by telling him so.

Because Louis couldn't get in contact with the Pope, the Imperial Diet declared election by majority of electors automatically conferred the royal title and rule without papacy approval. It was now Edward and Louis against Philip and Benedict, with a lot of power over Europe at stake.

On one hot day late in the end of the summer season, Edward took Joan aside after breakfast.

He knelt down beside her. "I have finished all the terms in my alliance with Louis. I must now go to Antwerp to negotiate an alliance with Jacob van Artevelde. He is a Flemish leader, so is of your mother's sort of people. It's important for that region to ally with me, as we have a good trade relationship. I have asked the queen your mother to travel there while she is able to. She will give me the guidance I need, and it has to be soon so that she can have the babe while I am negotiating and not while travelling."

"Oh, we're going to see Mother!" Joan beamed.

There was a bit of a pause. "My dear, because I think Louis's court has great benefit to you, and you shall continue your education in the empire. The empress will see over your education with her own children. You will have the greatest tutors in the realm." Edward looked off to the side.

"I have to stay?" Joan had not considered being left behind. "For how long?"

Edward paused for a moment. "I want you to do the best you can do to learn, and it would be best for you to remain here. I will leave Red Arrow in the stables so you can ride him when you're old enough. Learn languages, learn how people interact with each other, and do your best to be dutiful to God and do as you are bid to help the empire. Helping the empire is helping England. You are my sweet daughter."

The words slowly sank. She would not be returning to England, and her father would leave without her. She would remain alone in a strange country.

"When will you come get me?" Joan asked.

"That hasn't been set in stone. For now, focus on learning everything you can."

Joan began to cry, and her father wrapped his arms around her. She was just a child unable to process the long-term goals being asked of her. It was a quiet moment, but like all moments, it came to an end.

Joan was left behind in a country that was not her own.

Edward left with his entourage the next day, and soon after Joan left with the emperor and empress for their castle in Heidelberg.