Chapter IV

The following morning, King Edward took his son out hunting, and Queen Philippa took her daughters to the chapel to thank God for their safe travels. Joan had wanted to accompany her father because they were going to ride horses out to the forest, but she was told it wasn't an activity for ladies, and that she would not do well seeing the death inherent with hunting. To that, Joan agreed. She liked deer and pheasant too much to see them killed before her eyes.

The chapel was a small private building located near the castle's entrance. It contained a few pews, a large altarpiece in the centre of the room with a cross, and small slits for windows. The room was mostly lit from within by candlelight. Philippa explained that candles were like Jesus Christ's light on their lives, the main source of light inside their souls. Joan tried her best to learn all the stories and incantations and rituals to her faith. Philippa explained to her children what the rituals meant in a way they could comprehend.

Philippa said a quick prayer and lit a candle. The girls did the same, mimicking her movements. She then knelt before the statue of Christ, crossed herself, and said another prayer. Joan did likewise, saying a prayer for her parents to stay with her, but she said it quietly so only herself and the Lord would hear it. She knew it was selfish to want to be their focus over their duties to England, but she felt more complete in their presence and yearned for it to last.

After the were done in the chapel, Philippa escorted them on a stroll around the courtyard. It was one of those days where the air was crisp, and the sky was cloudless. Joan skipped along the long pathways.

"Oh, daughters, it is good to rest a bit here." Philippa stopped walking. "I am to be at your father's side as I am able. He seeks to get the French lands rightfully his through his mother's inheritance. He is the only living grandson of the late King Philip IV. He will not give up until he succeeds in his claim."

Joan's heart sank. She didn't care at all about lands in faraway France but knew to keep her mouth shut about it. She knew foreign interests meant the king wouldn't remain in England long. How long did it take to win a war? If God was on his side, surely not long.

Philippa patted the top of Joan's head. "It's summer now, and nice and warm with flowers in bloom. You've seen a few seasons now. Soon it will be autumn, then winter, then spring again, and finally summer again. Things will always change. You'll change too. It's just the nature of things. Enjoy things while you can and know everything is only temporary here on Earth."

Joan and Isabella went out into the field and started to gather pretty flowers they saw. Philippa stood by the gate. "It's really very pretty here, out in the country," the queen said, mostly to herself.

"Did you come to see us to plot our weddings?" Isabella asked her.

"Oh, we're always thinking of that. We will always need alliances, especially as we're in war. Hopefully weddings will hasten the end of the fighting if we can get other powers to be on our side."

Joan held the flowers in her hand and imagined walking down the aisle with a beautiful bouquet to her future husband. "Do you like being married?" Joan asked.

"Oh, yes," Philippa said. Her dark brown eyes lit up. "But every marriage is different. The King and I were a lucky match. You must be a good wife and support your husband, no matter what he's like. It gets easier as you get to know him." She touched her belly and smiled. "I am with child, my dears. It's such a joy, even when it's a heartache."

Joan cried out in joy and hugged her mother. She loved the idea of being a big sister finally. Then she remembered how the queen's last baby, her brother William, had died shortly after he was born. She had never even gotten to meet the infant. Joan looked up at her mother. "How do you know the baby will live?"

"There's no way to know. Every time it's a risk, but it's worth the reward, darling. Life and death are partners in life," the Queen said.

Joan was reassured. She wanted to meet the new baby and be as close to him or her as she was to Isabella. She would finally have someone who would look up to her.

"You were named to honour my mother Joan, and Isabella was named to honour the king your father's mother. And you both look so much like him and me and our mothers. You are our legacy we will leave behind when it is our time. You see, children are a gift we bring into the world. I pray every day for God to keep my children safe, and it's God's will what happens next."

Philippa reached out her hands to both her daughters. "Let's go inside where it is cooler. I want to observe your lessons with Lady de St Pol."

So they returned for their afternoon lessons. Joan tried to be the best pupil that her parents expected her to be.