Chapter One

An unexpected jolt sent me colliding with the side of the conveyance. A hiss of pain left my lips. Stupid driver! Why wasn't he being careful? Was he even trying to watch the road to avoid the holes? I was going to be black and blue by the time this journey was done!

"It is a shame that the roads are not better tended in this part of the country," Miss Emma Greaves, a lady of indeterminate years, commented. She sat across from me, looking unconcerned about the jolting we were being subjected to. "I'm surprised the neighbors haven't done something about it."

There was a long pause and she looked at me as though she expected me to respond. Agree with her? Disagree? I scowled at her. A shame about the roads? What a useless comment to make! As if I didn't realize they were rough and full of holes. The only thought I had was that it was a nuisance.

"Do you wish to discuss any of the details?" she asked. "It might take your mind off the journey. Some of the girls found—"

"No!" I snapped, interrupting her. "I know all I need about this arrangement."

Miss Greaves raised an eyebrow. "Is that so? Well, well."

I turned my gaze to...well, the side of the carriage. The windows had been left covered. 'For privacy,' Miss Greaves had said. Privacy? I just wanted to put this whole thing behind me and forget that men like Mr. Conrad Ingram even existed!

Hateful, deceitful man! This was all his fault, and he'd had the gall to die! He wouldn't suffer at all for this situation.

But, I had to admit, he wouldn't have any way. When was a man ever punished when he was a despicable cad? He'd laughed in my face when I told him of my suspicions and told me it was my problem to deal with. He said he'd never intended to marry me. Why would he marry me when I had nothing of value? And after everything I'd done for him!

Now he was dead, and I was being carted off to the middle of nowhere so that no one else might learn about what had happened between us.

It was horridly unfair!

"I do believe we're almost there," Miss Greaves announced, her tone close to excited. "It has been a long journey, hasn't it? I am quite looking forward to taking a walk."

Was I supposed to say something to that? She had talked so much in the last two days and never said anything interesting. It hardly mattered to me what she wished to do.

If it had been under any other circumstances, I might have been able to muster some enthusiasm to be traveling. After all, it had been years since I had left Bath. Leaving behind the boring routine should have been exciting. But it wasn't fair that now it happened I was being sent away from home for the first time.

The carriage slowed, but instead of bringing more bumps and jolts, it made a turn. Was Miss Greaves correct? Had we finally, after three days of non-stop travel, reached our destination?

Miss Greaves peeked out the window next to her. "Yes," she said, her tone satisfied. "Excellent. I wasn't sure he was making the right decision when your father said he had just the place for you to spend the next six months, but this will do very well."

Curiosity pricked, but I refused to lean forward and look. That would reveal some interest. I'd learned long ago that if you show interest in something, others would find a way to use it against you. And I wasn't about to let anyone have the advantage over me again.

Finally, the carriage came to a halt. A moment later, the driver was opening the door. Miss Greaves was quick to climb out, accepting the driver's hand as she did so. "How lovely!" she exclaimed. "We will be very happy here."