Chapter 40

Simon tossed back his drink, finishing his second double whiskey and Coke that afternoon. He set the glass back on the bar and silently motioned to the bartender to bring him another.

He was sat in a quiet little pub near the convention centre where the bands were rehearsing. The pub was relatively small and decorated like a rustic chalet with wood beams and cladding, dimly lit by faux oil lamps. There were slot machines with flashing lights tucked away near the back, attempting to lure in the pub's occupants with false promises of winning big. There were televisions perched atop wooden shelves in each corner of the bar displaying review footage of various sporting events from earlier in the week.

Simon was one of three patrons of the pub, all of whom were seated at the bar and drinking silently by themselves. It was only noon on a Tuesday. Most people wouldn't be utilizing the pub for a few more hours.

A full glass was slid in front of Simon and he nodded his thanks to the bartender. He pulled the sliced lime from the rim and squeezed it into his drink, then discarded it off to the side on a cardboard coaster.

That morning had been eventful. He and Sam had driven up to the cabin to pick up the young musicians for rehearsals and they had immediately been met with chaos. Emma had all but run out of the cabin before the van had rolled to a stop. She had a bag in hand and pleaded with Simon to book her into a hotel. She refused to spend another second in the cabin. She wouldn't admit why, but Mel later informed him that Emma was terrified to be around Melanie. Victoria, Geri, and Mel let him know about what had happened with Melanie that night, all overlapping one another in order to give him all the information they could. Victoria demanded Simon find Melanie a new doctor, insisting she get a second opinion on her diagnosis and for a physician that would take her symptoms seriously.

Sam had issues of his own with the boys. When the two of them had arrived, AJ was completely stoned. Brian and Kevin had to drag him out of the cabin and lift him into the van. He spent the morning curled up on everyone's jackets in the rehearsal space, sleeping it off.

The combined stress of that morning with that of the previous few weeks had taken its toll and driven Simon straight to the nearest pub. There were difficult decisions to be made, decisions he didn't want to have to make, and decisions he didn't want to go to the girls' record label with. No matter what he chose to do, there would be severe monetary repercussions for the label, which never boded well. He loved the complexity and difficulty of his job most days. He could handle the girls, even on their worst days. They were nothing compared to the higher ups at the label.

He sipped at his drink, wanting it to last. He knew he was at his limit. He couldn't return to the convention centre completely inebriated. He still had a job to do. Or so he hoped. With everything going on within the band, he had no idea what the future of the Spice Girls or his career would be.

He took another swig.

He also had to tell Melanie's parents what had been going on. He should have told them right from the beginning, but he had been so certain Melanie's condition would turn around, that everything would fix itself and involving her parents wouldn't be necessary. He had kept putting it off, hoping for things to get better. Her parents would be livid with him now. All of the girls' parents would be, for that matter.

He was definitely going to lose his job, possibly get sued as well.

He was in full agreement with Victoria. Melanie's doctors seemed to be completely useless. He had called multiple times regarding Melanie's condition and Dr. Schreiber incessantly assured him that everything they were experiencing with Melanie was to be expected. She would be fine. There was nothing to worry about. She didn't need to be taken back to hospital. Wait it out.