Chapter 3

The silence within the empty cabin was interrupted by conversations and laughter as the guys and the girls burst through the front door, returning sweaty and tired from a day of rehearsals. Coats and boots were littered across the entry way, some neatly put away, others dropped in the most convenient place by their wearers.

The sitting room and kitchen were suddenly illuminated as lights were switched on and the unruly group of musicians scattered throughout the main socializing areas of the cabin. Some immediately melted into the couches while others made a beeline for the kitchen to raid the fridge and cupboards.

Kevin sank into one of recliners in the den and pulled the lever to recline and put his feet up as he watched Nick and Brian practicing the choreography for Everybody (Backstreet's Back). The rest of the musicians had scattered around the cabin after a long day of rehearsals and interviews to promote their separate singles. They kept quiet about the upcoming tour, not wanting to alert the press to the preparations they were doing while in Germany.

Mel and Geri curled up on the couch together to poke fun at the boys as they rehearsed. As the girls giggled, both boys stopped dancing and eyed each other slyly before breaking into the choreography for the chorus of Stop. Everyone in the room broke into fits of laughter as Brian wiggled his bum and Nick pretended to flip his hair back.

"I think if I rehearsed any longer, I'd go insane," AJ groaned as he leaned against the door frame of the kitchen. "You two are nuts."

"I'm just helping Nick," Brian joked. "This kid has a lot of work to do."

"Hey!" said Nick, pretending to be offended as he wrapped his arm around Brian's neck and messed up his hair. The two boys wrestled around in the middle of the room while Mel and Geri cheered them on.

Wanting to calm the atmosphere and relax for a bit, Howie browsed through the collections of old records in the corner of the room, selecting one and placing it on the turntable. As he flicked the switch, the room was flooded with the warm, crackling sound of Louis Armstrong's Dream a Little Dream.

Everyone looked back at Howie, surprised by the sudden noise in the room. He shrugged and smirked, leafing through the rest of the record collection.

"What are you lot doing down here?" Emma asked with amusement as she and Melanie appeared from the upper level to check out what was going on in the den.

"Dance practice," AJ replied. He walked toward the staircase and bowed, offering his hand to Melanie. "M'lady." Melanie fanned her face with one hand, pretending to be surprised and giddy by his offer, and she placed her free hand on his. He guided her into the room and led her into a basic waltz. She giggled and followed his lead, allowing herself to be turned and lifted to the music. They both had backgrounds in dance and easily flowed from basic turns to more advanced choreography.

"Go, Melanie!" Emma cheered as she slipped around them and squeezed onto the couch with Geri and Mel.

Brian elbowed Nick in the rib and grinned before bowing and taking Nick's hand to imitate AJ and Melanie.

"Dude, why am I the girl?" Nick snorted as the two of them clumsily attempted to dance together. Mel and Geri burst into fits of giggles as Nick stepped on Brian's foot as the two of them fought to take the lead.

AJ spun Melanie around and pulled her close. He bent one knee and leaned forward, dipping her backwards. With their faces just inches apart, their eyes locked and, for a moment, they were the only people in the room. Their smiles faded and both of them slowly moved in to kiss each other. They froze suddenly, realizing everyone in the room had gotten quiet and were staring at the two of them. Melanie's cheeks flushed and AJ quickly lifted her upright, clearing his throat and taking a step away from her, mumbling an apology.