34.

After a long night of Laya freaking out and Neteyam trying to calm her down, she finally fell asleep. Even Neteyam was stressed. He didn't want his future wife to get hurt, not at all. If she asked him, he would tie an Ikran down for her so she could simply walk up to it and tame it, just like that.

Of course, she would never ask him to do that. She needed to prove herself to the clan, prove that she was worthy to be one of them.

So, when she woke up the next day, she was determined. "So I shut the mouth first.." She muttered.

Neteyam nodded. "Then you gotta connect to it. Make the bond real quick."

She nodded. "Okay, then I fly." She let out a groan and fell back on the bed. "I'm gonna die."

Neteyam chuckled. "No way- you're gonna do awesome. No dying on my watch." He fell back on the bed too and smiled at her. "Afterwards we can go fly somewhere."

She smirked at him. "Somewhere alone?"

He nodded and moved his hand so it rested on her cheek. "All alone.." He muttered as he leaned in and kissed her.

She smiled against his lips but frowned as he pulled away. "You should go eat first, I don't want you fainting or anything."

She groaned and dramatically walked away, leaving him on the bed. He smiled and tilted his head up at the ceiling, exhaling dramatically. Laya walked into the main room and saw Jake giving Neytiri breakfast.

"Hey guys." Laya said as she sat down next to Neytiri.

"Laya! Are you excited for today?" Jake smiled.

Laya shrugged. "More nervous, but definitely excited."

Neytiri nodded. "You'll do great, I know it."

Laya smiled at her and grabbed some of the food that was being made. Kiri walked into the room, Spider following closely behind.

"Kiri! Did you hear the news? Laya will be getting her Ikran today." Kiri smiled and gave Laya an assuring thumbs-up.

"Cool. Don't be scared, they're big softies." She winked at her.

Suddenly Lo'ak walked in. "Says the one who asked theirs to be their 'friend' and not having to fight it." Lo'ak rolled his eyes.

Kiri scoffed. "At least I got mine on my first try."

Lo'ak rolled his eyes again. "Bite me."

Kiri stuck her tongue out at him. "Skaxwng"

He waved her off and looked back to Laya. "You'll do fine. If anything Neteyam will just-"

Neteyam strolled in. "I'll just what?"

Lo'ak shook his head. "Nevermind."

Neteyam smirked. "No- say what you were going to say."

Lo'ak rolled his eyes, for the third time in the same ten minutes. "You'll just go crazy protective like you always do and tame the ikran for her. Per usual." Lo'ak walked off into his own room.

Neteyam chuckled and looked at Laya. "Just say the word."

She smiled to herself and looked back to Neytiri. "When will we be going?"

"Soon. The Olo'eyktan will be leading you and a small group of others to the nest. Then you'll each perform the rite and come home."

Laya nodded. "Okay. Do I need to bring anything?"

Neytiri shook her head. "Bring yourself and you'll be fine." Laya nodded and swallowed the rest of her food.

An hour later, Laya felt jittery. She didn't know whether it was because she was anxious or excited, but she couldn't stop moving around. Neteyam walked her to where the group of others were and spoke with the leader.