Chapter Thirty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"Princess Rhaenys?" A voice called behind the small group causing them to turn around.

Elowen's easy smile became strained as she saw Rhaenyra standing before them. "Rhaenyra-"

"Princess Rhaenys, I was hoping I might have a word." Rhaenyra interrupted, ignoring Elowen's presence entirely.

"I shall join you later." Rhaenys smiled at Elowen, nodding her head indicating she would be fine. Elowen nodded back, ushering Aemond and the twins forward.

"We shall be in my chambers when you are finished." With that Elowen turned away, leading the young teens further into the castle.

Princess Rhaenys' eyes were sharp as she waited for Rhaenyra to say whatever it is she wished to speak of. Her lips were pressed into a harsh thin line, showing her displeased attitude.

"I wish to make you an offer."

"Back Luke's claim, and let us betroth Laena's children to mine. Rhaena will be Queen of the Seven Kingdoms and her sons will be heirs to the throne. Baela will rule in Driftmark, and her seat will pass to her and Lucerys's children in time."

"A generous offer." Rhaenys spoke, pausing before she continued. "Or a desperate one."

"What does it matter?"

"Baela will already rule over Driftmark in her own name, why would I agree to steal that from her."

"It was stolen from Luke first." Rhaenyra hissed like a feral animal, her lips pulled back into a snarl, baring her teeth to her perceived threat. Her blood rushed through her veins, urging her to lash out.

"Yet you did worse than that with Laenor," Rhaenys snapped. "Did you not?"

"I loved your son. You may not believe it to be true, but I did. I did not order his death. Nor was I complicit in it. I swear this to you." The Crown Princess grabbed the older woman's wrist, desperation clear in her eyes.

"You think I believe anything from the mouth of a viper." Rhaenys ripped her wrist from Rhaenyra's gasp, quickly turning away from the younger woman and storming away, leaving her son's widow standing alone in the halls of the Red Keep.

★・・・・・・★

Remembering the secret passageways she had used in her youth, Rhaenyra had rushed to her old chambers. Her blood boiled beneath her skin as she realized Elowen had not lied and a sprawling stone model of Old Valyria took up most of the room. The wooden panel gave way under Rhaenyra's touch, swinging open to reveal a dark and damp corridor. The walls were tight around Rhaenyra, forcing her to tilt her upper body so her shoulders didn't hit the stone.

The small space opened into a large space, thousands of candles burned atop a platform illuminating the Black Dread's skull. Rhaenyra quickly darted across the open space, disappearing into another dark corridor. She ducked into a tight opening, stepping up a shadowy staircase. The steps led her to a solid wall. Her fingers trailed over the flat surface until she felt a seam. Her palm pushed against the concealed door.

A nondescript panel swung open beside the grand fireplace in the King's chambers. A fire burned in the hearth casting a dim light over the room. Rhaenyra quietly crept towards her father's bed, pushing the sheer curtains aside.

A white light flashed through the room as lightning struck outside the window. Rhaenyra stopped in her tracks as she saw her father for the first time in eight years. He was pitiful and frail, no longer the strong King she remembered him as. Taking a deep breath she pushed herself forward, perching on the edge of the mattress.

"Elowen?" Viserys stirred, feeling the mattress beneath him shift. "Elowen?"

Rhaenyra grit her teeth upon hearing her stepmother's name, having to restrain herself from lashing out upon being mistaken for Elowen. "No, it's Rhaenyra, father."

"Rhaenyra." Viserys repeated. His eye darted behind his eyelid, unable to lift the veil of skin after consuming milk of the poppy. His body eased by the thick white liquid, blessing him with a reprieve from the pains and aches that racked his body.

"The Song of Ice and Fire, do you believe it to be true?"

"Aegon's dream."

Leaning over, Rhaenyra grabbed ahold of her father's hand. She needed him to choose her again, to soothe her doubts and stand with her. Just as he had when he named her heir, before Elowen had sunk her claws into him and stolen him from Rhaenyra. "You told me it was our duty to hold the realm united against a common foe. By naming me heir you divided the realm." When her father did not respond, Rhaenyra continued. "What should I do father?"

The Princess watched her father expectantly, waiting for something. Anything. Some kind of response. When she got none, Rhaenyra leaned back tears falling from her eyes. A cup on the table beside Viserys caught her attention, picking it up Rhaenyra brought it to her nose. Milk of the poppy.

"Though I suppose you couldn't answer even if you wanted to," Rhaenyra muttered, throwing the cup to the floor, she watched as a thick white liquid pooling around the gold goblet. "Elowen keeps you locked away, and under the influence of milk of the poppy."

Looking back to her father, Rhaenyra leaned forward once again, tugging at her father's arm. "Defend me father, help me win back Lucerys' birthright. Please, I beg of you."

Getting only nonsensical murmurs back, Rhaenyra sat back. She watched her father for a moment, waiting for him to snap out of the paralysis. When she didn't get what she wanted Rhaenyra pushed herself to her feet and stormed through the chamber's doors. Ignoring the guards as they called for her to stop.