11. The Pairing Ceremony

Author's Note: A super long chapter, but I just couldn't bring myself to cut it into two short ones.  The pairing ceremony is finally here! This is where my dream that inspired this book started off, so I'm excited to get this chapter out for you to read!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You look so beautiful Nina." Pea gushed.

"And so do you, Pea! Iris, you've done a wonderful job, as always. And I still can't believe you let me help you with your hair." The three women were in Nina's room, finishing their final preparations for the ceremony.

"It's not everyday the future Queen asks to help a maid with her hair. How was I to refuse?"

"Not a maid for long, Iris. After our announcement at tonight's ceremony, I'll be expected to take on a handmaiden and you will of course be my choice. If you'll say yes?" Nina held the girls hands and bounced excitedly.

"Of course! I owe everything to you! Tonight I'll be partnered with the man of my dreams, my best friend will be partnered with our king, and I'll have a new position where I get to spend even more time with her! What more could I ask?!" Iris exclaimed excitedly.

"I'm so happy for you Iris."

"And I for you, Miss Nina."

"Just Nina, Iris." Nina rolled her eyes, then turned to her sister. The smile Nina held no longer reached her eyes. "You truly look beautiful, Pea. You will decide on a good match, I'm sure of it." Even though she spoke with confidence, the tear that slipped from Nina's eye gave her away.

Pea embraced her sister. "It will be alright, Nina."

"I'm so sorry, Pea."

"I know, Nina. It's ok." Pea stroked her sisters back.

"How is it you're the one comforting me?" Nina leaned back to look at her sister, letting out a half hearted laugh. "As always."

"It's my job." Pea pinched her sister's cheek.

"Hey, be glad they don't wear makeup here or I'd be upset at you for that right now." They both giggled.

"Oh Nina, I don't know what I'm going to do." Pea whispered, her voice breaking.

Nina whimpered, holding back her tears. "Maybe just choose the grieving widower, at least you know he's capable of love..? That he cares about others?" Nina grimaced as she said it, knowing how bad she was reaching for a solution.

"He'll reject anyone who offers a partnership, of course. He told me as much when I met him."

"Right. Understandable." Nina sighed.

"Not all of them seemed like bad people, some just not the most appealing."

"Like the fingernail tooth picker?" They both laughed.

"Yes, like him." Pea let out a slow breath. "I'll figure it out."

"Miss, I'm sorry but it's time." Iris timidly spoke up.

The three of them made their way to the grand hall. Pea and Iris joined the group of other women awaiting the ceremony, in a group to the side of the room. Nina walked past the rows of tables set for two, stationed throughout the hall, up to stand next to the stage where Fulton and Hezron stood.

Hezron stepped forward and raised his hands to the air, the room quickly became quiet, all eyes on him.

"Good evening." He smiled. "Welcome to the pairing ceremony!" The room cheered and Hezron waited for it to become quiet again. "Before we begin, our king has a few announcements to make." Hezron turned and bowed in front of Fulton, extending his arm to welcome him to the front to speak.