9. The Council

Author's Note. This chapter begins after the completion of book one. Nina has decided to not look for a way home, to make a home here with Fulton, the King.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I decided we should make a guitar. We wouldn't need to make a bow, and the build can be less intricate than some of the others. I have enough basic knowledge of how to play to teach others. We can start there and if it goes well, we'll make other instruments. Obviously I'd love a cello at some point." Pea was practically glowing as her and Nina were dining together in her chambers.

Nina chuckled at her sisters enthusiasm. "That's great, Pea. It's good to see you so excited. I can't wait to see it."

"Hezron has spent the past week gathering supplies. We've been meeting with different traders for any materials the Capitol didn't have on hand. We meet tomorrow with the blacksmith to look at what he has done so far. I can't wait to see it."

"I love seeing you so passionate about something, Pea. I'm so happy for you." Nina smiled at her sister, then sat her utensils down and placed her napkin on her plate, her smile faltering. "I hate to bring a solemn subject up during our lunch but Fulton says the council is not showing much promise on their decision to let us both be exempt from the upcoming pairing ceremony."

Pea looked down at her plate, placing her utensils down as well, no longer hungry. "Things have been going well with you and the king, I'm sure by that time you'll be ready to make your public announcement. You don't need to worry about the ceremony." She looked up at her sister, placing her hand over Nina's.

"Pea, are you serious?! Of course I'm not worried about me! We're only keeping our relationship quiet for now because I wanted the people to have a chance to get to know me better before we announce I'm going be their queen, you know that." Nina looked up and took a deep breath before walking around the table and sitting on her knees to hold her sister's hands. "I'm worried for you, Pea. I'll never forgive myself for putting you in this situation."  

Pea wiped a stray tear from her sister's face. "I'll be alright Nina. We still have the public court appearance tomorrow, right? Maybe the council will feel differently when they meet us and hear our reasoning for themselves, directly from us."

"We can hope, but-"

"Nina." Pea spoke sternly. "Don't be upset, and don't you dare blame yourself. I came here of my own freewill, no one forced me to walk through that portal, including you. And I don't regret it for a moment." She stroked her sisters hair and clasped her hand. "We will speak at the court tomorrow and then we'll just have to go from there."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"There have never been any exceptions, and there never will be!"

Pea was surprised at how strongly these people felt about this. But if this has gone the same way for hundreds of years without anyone ever questioning it, she could see how the two of them showing up and requesting to be excused from it would be a shock to them. But still...

"Sirs, Madams, please. We do wish to respect these traditions, all we are asking is to be excused for this one ceremony so that we may have an appropriate amount of time to learn more of your culture, your people, and prepare to participate in the next one."

Pea looked over at her sister. She'd never really seen her in action. Nina had spent years studying cultures, languages, histories of nations that Pea had barely heard of.   It seemed to be helping her push their wish while being respectful of their traditions.  

"Impossible. The next ceremony isn't for another 3 years. The entire continent's population was cut to almost extinction during the Plague Ages, we can't afford to have people of prime age uncoupled for so long."