3

Rewritten 01/08/23

Rewritten 01/08/23

I've been up for around eight hours now. I didn't forget to take my tablets after finding that spoon, I was smart enough to not actually use the spoon though, and struggled even more for 10 minutes as almost all of the cutlery was in the dishwasher. What a pain,

I was arguing with myself, about whether to call Welt again or not, he'll probably say the same thing anyway.

I couldn't actually bring myself to do anything aside from sitting back on my sofa, picking up the nearest thing to me and beginning to read it, trying to get my mind off the recent events.

About 7 pages in my eyes skimmed over the current page before turning to the next. I paused.

"Huh?" I turned the page back, it was just Sebastian looking at his pocketwatch, right? Nothing interesting, except there was no pocket watch to look at, "What the fuck," I squinted as if that would make it magically appear,

I sat up straight realising that I was really not seeing things, however, with my slight movement, I felt something under my seat, a cold, metal object.

I froze. Hoping it really wasn't what I thought it was. Slowly getting up, as if the object would somehow morph into what I didn't know it was. But of course that's not how shit works.

And it was exactly what I thought it was. A silver-plated pocket watch of very high quality.

Taking deep breaths, I threw the book onto the coffee table, stomping off. Colliding with counters making decorations fall, I grab my keys and walk out of the house, the door slamming behind me.

Walking down the streets for around 20 minutes, I've reached a more busier part of London, St James Park. I reached a bench where I slumped down, burying my face in my hands as I blocked out the noise. I didn't cry, no. Only tried to calm myself and collect my thoughts flying around my head, I was exhausted and drained almost completely, what was once a brave Valkyrie, then an infamous assassin, now a miserable barista. Sad was the only word I could actually think to describe it. Just plain sad. Nothing more or less.

The bench creaked as I felt a hand place itself on my back, an oddly familiar voice spoke, deep yet concerning.

"Are you alright?" I didn't look up, but I knew it was him, the bartender from the night before. I groaned, slightly shaking my head. He didn't say anything else but I felt him pat me on the back. After what felt like hours of silence I heard him speak again, "You don't have to tell me everything if you don't want to you know..."

I chuckled into my hands, and he continued, "It's just that night..."

How odd. His voice was being blurred out by a lot more voices, I opened my eyes, and it smelled different as well... smelled like smoke...horse shit? the pavement under my feet was no longer, instead replaced by dirt and mud, his hand on my back felt different too, like he was wearing gloves. As I raised my head from my hands to look at the man next to me my eyes widened in horror as I found he was dressed differently...more people were walking around dressed in Victorian-style clothing as the sky was dark and there was smog in the air, carriages also went past, the sound of hooves against dirt was clear. The 'bartender' looked at me in confusion, shaking me slightly, causing me to blink in surprise. And I was back again, he was dressed in normal clothes and the smell of grass and fresh air hit my nose.

"Hey..! You okay??" He asked, his blue and brown eyes filled with concern, I took a few breaths, looking around before looking back at him,

"Hm? Yeah...yeah I'm fine..." I mumbled,

He shook his head in disappointment, "You really don't seem fine, I should walk you back," he suggested, getting up and offering me his hand to hold. I took his hand as he pulled me up. I didn't protest, we walked together out of the park in silence, at a slower pace than when I was walking here...It was more calm, more peaceful. However, some small talk was made on the way, "So, uhm...I never got your name," He spoke, rubbing his head.

"(Name) (Lastname)...you?" I asked, glancing at him but not turning my head.

"Ernest, Ernest Ivkin," He smiled as I eyed him, I raised a brow at the surname,

"Are you Russian?"

"My father was, my mother is English, I do speak a bit of Russian I suppose..." Ernest put a hand on his chin as we reached the door to my apartment, "This your place?" I nodded as I pulled out my keys, then paused when I realised I hadn't locked the door when rushing to leave.

"God...how stupid of me, I'm sorry you had to walk all the way here, thanks tho'" I thanked him as I walked up the steps to my door,

Ernest chuckled "Honestly, I only live a five-minute or so walk away from here," I turned, smiling at him amused, "And uhm, are you doing anything this evening, I was wondering if you'd like to go and grab dinner-- only if you want to!!" He waved his hands as I got flustered,

I coughed, "Dinner with you seems nice..." I replied Ernest had a moment of shock before his face morphed into a more bashful expression,

"Well, I'll pick you up at 7, but ah- can I have your number?"

After exchanging numbers I was told that he would message me when he was leaving to pick me up. I shut the door after I waved goodbye to him, I had felt a lot better than earlier and even forgot about the previous events...Maybe this is just what I needed, something-- no, someone to take my mind off of things...
I looked at the clock on my wall and read the time, 16:36, I had plenty of time to get ready but I suppose an early shower wouldn't hurt, right?

Giggling, I excitedly rush to the bathroom, ignoring the mess I made of the house earlier. Ernest Ivkin...

I pampered myself in the shower, giving myself the long-awaited treatment I deserve...

I wore something casual, but still stylish I suppose, after all...he only said "dinner," not "date" and until he says it's a date that will be the time I look my best.

As I walked out of my bedroom dressed I heard a notification pop up on my phone. I rushed to the coffee table where my phone was, excited to see if it was him, however, before grabbing my phone, my eyes were pulled over by the shiny object next to it. The silver-plated pocket watch sat idly on the coffee table. I gulped, not wanting to be reminded of the earlier events. I shook my head and grabbed my phone. 17:55,

✉ 1 new notification

Ernest

Heyy it's Ernest
Sorry but I wanted to make sure if you were alright with Italian food?

yhh :))
I love Italian dw

Ok good I just wanted to make sure😭😭
It'd be awkward if I just took you to a restaurant rather than asking you if you were okay with it

That's sweet of you⤾

<3