Chapter62: Facing an unknown rage

Start from the beginning

"Wait, hold on," I chuckled while trying to ask an important question, "You're the one who slept in Starfire's kennel after being hammered?"

His face became almost red from embarrassment after I put the two together. Causing me to kneel on the kitchen floor, laughing so hard that my stomach ached.

Narrowing his eyes at Madelyn who was laughing with me as she made her way to the swinging door, "Your day will come, Maddie."

Sticking her tongue towards him as if accepting the light-hearted threat, "Have fun, David."

The tease in her words was thick while David stared her down with a mischievous smirk. Turning to me who was still on the floor laughing.

Only to bite my lips to stop when he stared at me for a minute. Before sighing deeply, reaching out towards me with a gentle smile, "How was dinner for you, Ariel?"

"Very delicious," I said happily with my mouth watering thinking about the food again while I let him pull me up. Just thinking about the yummy goodness that we had moments ago makes me happy. "And I got permission from your Mom to come here for dinner whenever I please."

Scoffing as I stood up straighter having that beautiful, rare smile of his. Then he closed the gap between us to lay a soft kiss on my forehead before pulling me into this warm hug. For a minute, the whole action shocked me stiff before I became relaxed and hugged him back.

As I was about to ask him about it, he said softly in my ear, "Thank you for holding my hand and distracting Dad during dinner. You didn't have to do that."

"I wanted to," I said, pulling away to look into his eyes. Ignoring the slight dizziness from the kiss and how my body wants to stay in his warmth.

Almost forcing myself to focus on the task at hand, "The way your Dad is forcing you into the army was something very uncomfortable to watch. I never knew that it was this bad."

His expression became softer after I admitted how I felt about the conversation between him and his Dad. Taking hold of my hands, closing the gap between us again, "I'm sorry that you had to see that, Ariel. But it's not as hectic as it was minutes ago, Dad isn't forcing me into anything."

He couldn't be serious, he knows that his Dad was forcing him into the army. How he wasn't satisfied that he read some of the forms that he sent to him. He knows that I saw everything, "David, don't try to cover up or sugarcoat what happened back there."

"I'm not covering up anything." He argued, crossing his arms with a serious expression. But his eyes had this play glow in them, he was trying to lighten a serious matter for whatever reason.

"Yes, you are!" I argued back harder, becoming angry with whatever he was doing. Since it was having some effect on me, wanting to rather talk about anything than what was going on. "You must have a serious talk with your Dad, tell him that you don't want to be in the army. That he should talk to Dylan about joining instead, he is more interested in it than you are."

"Even if he was, Dylan doesn't want to upset anyone by dropping out of KAU to join the army," David admitted, sounding almost irritated by his brother's decision. I could see that he wants Dylan to come forward and be honest with Bell and Uncle Matt.

And that was making my heart cry out for both of them. One brother wants to join the army while the other is being forced into it. "This isn't fair to either of yous. What your Dad, your Grandpa is doing to you two is just wrong, and what if - the last thing that I want is -"

I couldn't say it, didn't want to. My heart froze up with the thought of what would happen to David if he had to join the Australian army against his will. How he would experience things that not many get to. Things that even Uncle James wouldn't want to tell me, Haylie, or anyone about. The last thing I want is for someone like him or his brother to come back broken.