𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.

Start from the beginning

         "You're freaking the kid out, cover that thing up and go sit somewhere, Mary's getting your stuff together," Jane scolded, turning from him and walking with you in her arms back to the dining table. You watched from over Jane's shoulder as the stranger scowled and slowly hid his face again behind the mask, then stuffed his hands in his pockets as he waltzed behind Jane.

         Jane rocked you in her arms for a few moments before hesitantly placing you on the ground. You didn't complain, but you didn't let a single second pass without keeping your eyes focused on the strange one. "He isn't going to hurt you, don't worry (Y/N). I'll be right back," Jane assured you, gently petting your head before turning to head to the kitchen. You nodded uneasily and crooked your head at the man as he'd stopped just before you.

         "...Are...you a puppy...?" You asked looking up at him, completely dismissing the lack of ears or fur or any sort of physical attribution that would deem him a dog. You honestly didn't care, you just wanted to hear his response.

         The man's empty eyes seemed to 'stare at you' for a long time, which made the hairs on your arms stand. Jane had stopped leaving and stood in the corner, shaking her head and wafting her hand across her neck frantically, as if she were expecting the man to give a harsh response.

         The strange man eventually sighed heavily before slightly throwing his head back, "I'm not given enough compensation for this shit..." he then crooked his head back into position to look down at you. "Yes...I am a... puppy..."

         "...What kind of puppy are you then..."

         "...Uhh...Mexican.. Grayhound."

         Jane facepalmed loudly and Mary appeared from the kitchen letting out a soft chuckle while you made your eyes appear to widen in disbelief, "Oh my gosh that's so cool, it's like a human looking kind puppy! And you can talk!!"

         "Ah yes...woof."

         "So you're not a monster, you really are a puppy!" You grin widely.

         "Monst—did you really think I was some sort of monster?" The man scoffed.

         "...Have you seen yourself? But it's okay, I know you're a puppy now and that's the best thing ever."

         You no longer felt concerned with the man now that you were convinced simply by his words that he was a puppy. You weren't stupid--you very well knew he was not a REAL puppy, but you were eager enough to pretend if he was going to play along. You step closer to him and hold your hand up to him, expecting to pet his head, but of course he was much much taller than you were. "What...what are you doing?" He slowly held up his hands and took a step back from you. "Well I'm tryyying to give you a pet but I can't wreach your head!" You snap at him. "Come here, puppy!"

         Jane's loud snort arose from beside Mary and she shook her head, "I can't believe what I'm seeing right now. I love this kid."
"As you should," Mary quickly put in, pursing her lips and side-glaring at Jane.

         "Why won't you come here?" You questioned, watching upset as the 'puppy' avoided your touch. "Look you termite, I don't like being touched in any way shape or form. Keep your sticky little—"

         He was cut off by a loud grunt coming from both Jane and Mary. Defeated by this, he heaved a heavy, annoyed sigh. "You know what? Fine. Pet me." He slowly lowered himself to one knee on the ground, and was now somewhat closer to your level. You smiled happily and pet his head roughly, flinging off the hood that covered his hair. "What's your name little guy?"