This Whole Time

Happy Surrera Countdown! Here is my contribution for Feb 15th... it's 9:06pm PST so we're still on the day :) 8 days left to go? Thank you all for still being a part of this fandom even though the show continues to give us no reason to hang on. Hopefully we turn a corner in 6B. -- Enjoy the fic, Ash!

"What do you say?" Andy inquired. "One spin around the dance floor for old times sake?" She was staring up into warm chestnut eyes that rarely failed to bring a smile to her face.

Robert replied simply, "You know I..."

Interrupting, Andy finished his sentence for him. "...hate dancing in public."

His full lips curled up slightly. He wasn't a big goer outer and for most of their relationship, they hadn't been able to anyway because of the pandemic, but when Andy did finally get to drag Robert to a salsa social he'd enjoyed it. It wasn't weird or uncomfortable for him because everyone was actually focused on dancing versus people watching, but this was different.

They were bantering a little now. "Not all public places..." he followed up. "But some."

Andy sighed and knew she was going to have to up her ask. Head tilted to the side, eyes-wide and pleading softly, lips just slightly pouty. Robert had never been able to resist this look when they were together... she was fairly certain it would still work now.

"Come on,  I need one quality dance before the night is over and Eli... has two left feet." Andy leaned in a bit closer and caught a hint of his Tom Ford cologne. It always was the perfect blend of warmth and spice. She resisted inhaling the familiar scent deeply. Fluttering her lashes lightly. "Please."

"You are not playing fair." Robert responded by taking in the look she'd learned made even his strongest resolve melt. And as if it were completely out of his control, he took Andy's hand and led her to the dance floor.

The SFD fundraising gala was in full swing. All trading their turnouts for tuxedos and formal wear. With post COVID budget cuts across the department and concerns that the city budget was continuously shrinking it seemed everyone was being asked to do more with less. And while the firefighters themselves weren't ones to smooze and play politics, they were all willing to come out and support a good cause if it meant more job security.

They made it to the dance floor mid Bruno Mars and it took almost no time for them to fall into step as Uptown Funk came through the speakers. They exchanged laughs and smiles as they got lost in the beat of the music.

"Admit it," Andy said. "You're enjoying yourself already." She wouldn't come right out and say she was right, but she'd poke the bear a little.

Robert knew it would have been impossible to hide his grin so he didn't even attempt to, but he certainly wouldn't admit to anything. "I plead the fifth."

They both chuckled a little bit as the song faded. When Michael Buble's soulful voice poured in through the sound system next, they moved seamlessly into each other's arms and started a slow sway to the music.

His height made surveying the crowd easy, but what he wasn't expecting when he did something so normal was, catching Eli's gaze. It hadn't occurred to him that dancing with his ex-wife would send any problematic signals, but something in his gut said the other man wasn't pleased.

Breaking eye contact, he looked down to Andy and with no preamble said,  "He's British."

Andy looked up and smiled. They hadn't talked much about her new relationship, if you could even call it that. She and Eli had been on several dates, they were enjoying each other's company, but it wasn't serious in her book.

Thinking for a moment, she replied. "He's nice. It's simple and uncomplicated."

Silence hung in the air between them for a moment. "Not like us, huh." Robert tried to make the statement with lightheartedness, but the look in Andy's eyes when he found them said his tone missed the mark on humor.