28 || Flowers for Xiao

a/n: ggelus on Twitter!
Also the song "Valentine" by Laufey fits Xiao so much in this story, so go give it a listen~ (◜௰◝)

⊱ ────── {⋆❀⋆} ────── ⊰

"Morax, it seems I've really fallen in love."

You sat at the top of Mt. Aocang with your two old-time friends, the Lord of Geo and Cloud Retainer. The avian Adeptus crooned as she flapped her wings, pleased with your sudden comment, and you had to press down on the Glaze Lillies laying on Guizhong's seat to prevent them from fluttering away. Meanwhile, Morax continued to sip his tea with his usual stoic yet content expression.

"Oho," Cloud Retainer enthusiastically replied, "with who one can assume?"

You simply hummed and poured yourself some more of the tea from the kettle sitting on some heating device the avian built. Though it took up the entire center of the stone table, Cloud Retainer seemed content with it as a draft. She had been talking about it for a while now, but it seemed like your comment just now successfully (and thankfully) got her to change the topic.

"Pleased is one. It is about time you found love, Buer," she huffed.

"Yes...I suppose so," you smiled, sipping the tea. "I've found love before you, Cloud Retainer."

"One's love only matters for mechanics." Closing her eyes, Cloud Retainer looked away, and you chuckled.

"I've heard that you've moved in with Adeptus Xiao," Morax stated as he traced the rim of the teacup with his thumb. "I congratulate you on your relationship, and I am grateful to hear that you are staying in Liyue."

"As does one!" the avian added, turning back to you. "Sincerely, one is pleased to know of your happiness. Merited it is."

Your gaze softened, thinking of the small cottage you now called home. Already the patches of dirt in the garden were growing with new buds of life, the spring air carrying with it love and joy. You found great happiness in decorating your house with beautifully embroidered comforters, elegant teacups, and even random objects you couldn't have in your days as a vagabond.

"Thank you for the house...I'm not sure how you got it, being ridiculously poor, but it's perfect," you replied, earning a fit of laughter from the Adeptus.

"I also have another suggestion for a contract...no, a gift," the former Archon said. "Would you like to set up a pharmaceutical clinic? Though traveling must be your calling, with a home, it may be better to settle in a shop. I am willing to set one up for you should you accept the offer."

"...And what's the catch?" you asked as you narrowed your eyes, aware that he called it a contract before changing his words. Did he want you to treat a certain number of citizens in a week? Or maybe give some of your profits to him so he could finally obtain mora?

After taking the last sip of his tea, Morax murmured, "Join me for a drink more often."

"That's it?" You furrowed your eyebrows. The older god was one who upheld the most basic fundament of a contract: profit. He was a firm believer in receiving the same amount or more of what he had given, and to drink every so often wasn't as comparable to that of buying an entire store for you.

"Yes," he replied curtly. "Truthfully, I miss the taste of osmanthus wine shared with those of the past." His emotionless face slipped for a brief moment before he closed his eyes and stood from his chair. "I have an opera to watch, so I will leave first. Think over my request, Buer."

As he bade goodbye to Cloud Retainer, you glanced at the stone seat where Guizhong once rested on. After being away from Xiao for so long in Inazuma, you now knew the feeling of loneliness from parting with a loved one. Of course, although not on the same level as Rex Lapis who forever lost Guizhong, you felt like you could empathize with him. The Glaze Lillies rustled as you brushed your finger over them.