24 || Ways of Seeing

Many say that love changes the world.

You found this saying to be wrong.

The sun still rose and set, the stars still moved in the night sky, the birds still picked the seeds in the earth, merchants still bickered for prices, and children still ran around the pier.

Nothing in the world changed.

You awoke to the soft breathing against your neck that tickled your skin beneath the covers of the blanket. The Adeptus was sleeping with his head on your arm, and his eyebrows were furrowed slightly. Was he in a dream? You chuckled as you brushed a knuckle against the gem in his forehead, freeing the tension in his brows. You allowed yourself to indulge in the moment, admiring the view of the stoic Yaksha's rare, peaceful expression.

You realized soon after that Xiao's right arm was draped against your waist, the softness of your skin together, bare. Your fingers unhurriedly traced the tattoos on his underarm down to his smooth abdomen. You had never seen the connecting portion of the tattoo until today, as his white top always covered it, and you found that the dull green was so intricately designed around the entirety of his right side. By the time you finished trailing your finger to his pelvis--much to your surprise--Xiao was still soundly asleep.

"Maybe I should make breakfast," you thought as you slowly removed his head from your arm. There were only a handful of times, you remembered, when Xiao rested so well, and you thought it would be nice to let him awake to some food, especially after he was in the Chasm for so long. Pouting slightly, you moved it around in hopes that the blood would circulate to your fingertips--you wouldn't be able to create anything when your entire arm was numb from his weight. Not that you minded. You quite liked having Xiao sleep so close to you.

Quietly, you slid off the bed, intending to put on a robe from your closet on the other side of the room. You were stopped, however, when the Adeptus grabbed your wrist. His arm reached across the pillows, and his eyebrows crinkled as his vision adjusted to the light. Amber irises gazed into yours.

Squinting, he muttered drowsily, "Where are you going?" before yawning and rubbing his eyes. His hold on your wrist was quite strong for someone who had just awoken. Amused, you sat back down next to him.

"Good morning, my love. I was going to make some breakfast in Yanxiao's kitchen," you smiled, leaning in to give him a kiss on his forehead. He closed his eyes when you did so and fluttered them open again when you drew back. His hold relaxed ever so slightly, but his fingers were still wrapped around your arm.

"Stay," he whispered, "just a bit longer." His voice was drowning in sleep.

You paused for a second before you let out an airy laugh, your hair slipping as you flipped your head back. It was incredible that this was the same Yaksha that had refused to stand within a five-foot radius of you the first you met. You laid back in the bed and peppered Xiao's face with light pecks, earning a small, downward smile from him. His cheeks were warm and soft. You littered them with more kisses.

The sun still rose and set, the stars still moved in the night sky, the birds still picked the seeds in the earth, merchants still bickered for prices, and children still ran around the pier.

Nothing in the world had changed, yet the way you saw it did.

And oh how beautiful it was.

⊱ ────── {⋆❀⋆} ────── ⊰

By the time the two of you were finally off the bed, clean and clothed for the day, the sun was almost at its highest point in the clear sky. Xiao felt as if he were up there with it.