18 || Healing

a/n: a quick update that is so delayed. I'm so sorry!! hopefully this book will be completed before the end of this semester....there should only be around 25-30 chapters so you can see that it's almost done. until then, I'll fight hard!

⊱ ────── {⋆❀⋆} ────── ⊰

Two hours pass quickly when you're busy treating patients. On top of the usual quota, there was a group of reckless souls who ventured into the still heavily guarded mines in the Chasm that you happened to come across, and treating them took longer than expected, especially with their rowdy nature. They pestered you constantly, bombarding the most random questions (such as what color your socks were), and their high energy drained you right until the moment they ran off.

Sighing as you closed your bag, you tilted your straw hat and looked for the sun's position, trying to get a grasp of the time. Shades of roses and marigolds embraced the sky.

The lantern festival of the village would start soon.

Somehow, that fact replenished the little energy that remained.

"I suppose I should call for him now," you thought to yourself. There was a secluded area and the shade of a large tree—a red sandbearer—and you relocated knowing that the Adeptus disliked areas with many mortals; the Chasm was quite boggled with people here and there, the Millelith and travelers alike. It was strange to see the once desolated, ruined area springing with life, but somehow, you didn't hate it.

Your destruction was slowly healing.

Could your heart be healing too?

You smiled at the thought.

"Xiao, can you hear me?" Sitting on a tree branch, you let your voice carry away in the wind. Within seconds, the Yaksha was standing below you. He was keeping true to his promise of showing whenever you spoke his name. You hopped down from the tree to Xiao's side, to which he responded with a curt nod in greeting.

"You called," he uttered nonchalantly. His eyes flickered to the mines behind you before resting into yours, an uneasy look on his face. Noticing this, you brushed the tips of your fingers against his. Xiao's attention was brought back to you.

"I did," you whispered as you smiled. "There is a small festival I wish to go to, little Xiao. Will you accompany me?"

"...I am not partial to crowds," the teal-haired Adeptus muttered, crossing his arms as he leaned against the tree. "But," he continued, glancing at you, "I am not callous enough to deny your offer."

Laughing airily at his confidently extending hand and his contradicting blushing face, you said, "How kind of you. I must treat you well at the festival."

He looked away while clearing his throat, and you placed your hand in his. Then the two of you took off to the village shining warmly in the moonlight.

⊱ ────── {⋆❀⋆} ────── ⊰

The festival had already started by the time you and Xiao teleported to the edge of the village, far but close enough to see the faint glow of lanterns and hear the giggling of children. You took the first step forward but were held back by the Adeptus who remained in his spot. His hand tensed in yours and you glanced back. His eyebrows were knit in contemplation.

"...Xiao," you murmured tenderly, walking back to him. "Look, aren't the village lights pretty?" You pointed to the hanging, yellow lamps all around. "Let's get a closer view together, okay?"