5 || Uncertainty

"Xiao, how do you feel about (y/n)?"

Sitting on the balcony of Wangshu Inn was the God of Contracts. Before him knelt a dark-haired boy, bowing his head in respect. Zhongli took a sip of hot tea as he waited for an answer.

"...They are a tolerable human," the Adeptus reported hesitantly, not wanting to insult you right to his Master. You were a... companion of the Geo Archon, after all. Hearing Rex Lapis call you a life-long friend with his own ears was undeniable proof; nonetheless, Xiao couldn't comprehend how you, an annoyingly cunning doctor, could ever earn the respect of the incredible Morax.

"I see you still have reservations about them," the god remarked. "I suppose two weeks is not enough to deem a person trustable. However, I ask that you do as they say. Their knowledge in medicine far surpasses anyone else."

The anemo Adeptus wanted to retort, saying that your quack skills were questionable and impudent, but he didn't dare go against his beloved Master's words. Not when he trusted your abilities to such an extent.

Seeing Xiao's reluctance, Zhongli put down his cup and suggested, "Why don't you follow (y/n) for a day and see what they do? Surely you will find that their practice of medicine is appreciated by many."

"I must do my duty to protect Liyue. There is no time for idle matters," Xiao muttered. He rose from his kneeled position and stood in front of his Master, loyalty brimming in his golden eyes.

"The Liyue Qixing is doing perfectly well at governing Liyue now," the retired Geo Archon replied, taking another sip of his tea. He looked outside at the Guili Plains, at the peaceful scenery around him. "Should they ever require aid, they will call for you. But we are at a time of peace, Young Adeptus, and you must learn how to rest."

Before Xiao could respond, he felt your presence coming up the stairs and he thinned his mouth into a frown. 

"Oh? I see the both of you are here," you said as you walked out on the deck, holding the daily elixir and supplements for Xiao. For the past two weeks, the two of you had an unspoken agreement to meet on the balcony every morning for his medications. Sometimes you would take his temperature, heart rate, and feel around for his range of motion and muscle stiffness like you would today.

"A fine morning, (y/n)," Zhongli greeted, nodding his head in acknowledgment.

"Hey," you replied. "Here to watch the appointment?" 

Quick to work, you gently put your hand on the boy's forehead and put your own forehead on top, closing your eyes to determine if his temperature was higher than yours. You failed to notice the small rosiness on his ears.

"Your temperature is lower than the last time I checked," you smiled as Xiao jerked his head back. You let him grab the medications from your hand. "That means your body isn't fighting as much disorder. I'm assuming your karmic debt is better these days. I'll lower the brewing time of anti-inflammatory..."

"As brazen as always," the Adeptus sighed, his eyes refusing to meet yours. While you took notes on the changes to his personalized antidote, he quickly gulped the serums and put the bottles on the table. 

It was unmistakable that he was feeling the positive effects of your medicine in the past two weeks. His body felt much lighter and more flexible despite his neverending battles with evil. The whiplashes of karmic debt, the aches of battle, they were all affecting him less than ever before. He was almost back to his prime. But did he really need to admit this out loud?

"Mhm," you hummed mockingly, putting the bottles back into your robe. Knowing what came next after days of the routine, Xiao casually lifted his arm for you to hold. "Tell me to stop when it feels stiff or hurts."

Gently adjusting his forearm in your grasp, you moved around his arm in different motions until he would mutter "stop." It was essential for anyone to stretch before an intense workout, but it was obvious that Xiao did nothing of the sort. That's why you resorted to doing them yourself in the mornings, sending him off on his little murder parades after you made sure his body was thoroughly stretched. 

When you finished the stretches, you released your hold and took notes on any change in his range of motion. A small smile crept up your face at the thought of the Adeptus willingly lifting his arm for you when just a week ago he was adamant about staying at least three feet away. Lots of progress was made with your iron-walled patient. You hypothesized that only a few more weeks were needed until you deemed your sessions with him complete.

Would he still be wary of you then?

"Oh," you said, taking a sharp inhale as you tossed away the thought, "there are some exercises for your legs as well, but it'll be more comfortable for you to lay in a bed for that. Why don't we go to your room?" Although it was completely genuine on your basis as a doctor, the subtle smirk on your face (that you did purposely) made Xiao doubt your true intentions.

"I have no need for futile stretches," he said coldly, crossing his arms across his chest. 

"I find no harm in trying," the God of Contract commented from his seat, sipping his tea. He knew you well enough to know your intentions were pure and strictly for medical purposes, but Xiao, of course, did not. His eyebrows raised in surprise when he heard his Master approve.

"Do you want to come watch?" you asked Zhongli as you turned on your heels, your head tilted over your shoulder, waiting for a response.

"I'm afraid I cannot," your friend said, shaking his head. "I have an opera to attend soon."

"Is that so?" you hummed. You put your hands on the back of your head and looked up at the morning sky, lost in thought. Then, you turned back around and smiled.

"Why don't we do the leg exercises another time then?" you proposed. "Little Xiao doesn't seem too comfortable with that yet." 

Truth be told, you couldn't force a patient to do something they didn't want. Consent was important in the practice of medicine, and you realized you stepped out of line earlier with your smirk. Zhongli not being there would also make Xiao less comfortable with you.

Xiao watched as you waved goodbye to Rex Lapis and headed down the stairs to your room. Though his face showed no emotion, his mind was in a boggle of confusion. How could you mock him to such an extent, only to dismiss yourself when he least expected it? Why were you so persistent in treating him? Just what game were you playing?

Glancing at Zhongli and seeing him nod his head, the Adeptus decided to secretly follow you to see what you do in a day as the Archon proposed earlier. And so, Xiao disappeared within his fumes and teleported to a tree far but close enough to watch you through the inn's window. He was certain he'd find your faults; however, in spite of his determination, he whirled his head away when he saw you undressing, a blush creeping up his neck. Just who in their right mind changed without curtaining the window?

You, on the other hand, laughed airily at the unfocused Xiao as you changed your undershirt and wore another large robe. You didn't understand what the Adeptus was doing, watching you outside like a hawk, but seeing him turn away with such innocence was entertaining. It was fun to tease and get a reaction out of the usually expressionless little Xiao.

"Ah," you whispered out loud. "I wonder what I should do to get a rile out of him today."

⊱ ────── {⋆❀⋆} ────── ⊰

a/n: I feel like Xiao's really the type to be deadpan about everything but is actually kind of innocent when it comes to stuff like embarrassing situations. And even though he tries to hide it, small expressions give it away hahaha. Man I wish I could tease Xiao too :,)