four | daleks in manhattan

Start from the beginning

After taking a couple of steps away from them and pointing a finger over at the unfinished Empire State Building, Solomon told them, "That there is going to be the tallest building in the world. How come they can do that, and we got people starving in the heart of Manhattan?"

* * *

As he took a step closer to Solomon, the Doctor said to him, "So, men going missing. Is this true?"

After taking the newspaper out of the Doctor's hands, Solomon told him, "It's true alright."

After taking a step into a tent after Solomon with Annabelle and Martha close behind him, the Doctor asked him, "But what does missing mean? I mean, people must come and go here all the time. It's not like anyone's keeping a register."

With a wave of his hand, Solomon said to them, "Come on in." While Annabelle had eyed the inside of the tent with narrowed eyes, Solomon told them, "This is different."

In turn, Martha asked him, "In what way?"

After silently looking between the three of them, Solomon said, "Someone takes them, at night. We hear something, someone calls out for help. By the time we get there, they're gone. Like they vanish into thin air."

With furrowed eyebrows, the Doctor asked him, "And you're sure someone's taking them?"

With a nod of his head, Solomon told him, "Doctor, when you've got next to nothing, you hold on to the little you got. Knife, blanket, you take it with you. You don't leave bread uneaten, a fire still burning."

With a nod of her head, Martha asked him, "Have you been to the police?"

With a nod of his own head, Solomon replied, "Yeah, we tried that. Another deadbeat goes missing, big deal."

In turn, the Doctor said, "So the question is who's taking them and what for?"

It was then that the flap of the tent was opened by a young man, who yelled, "Solomon! Solomon, Mr. Diagoras is here."

It wasn't long afterwards that the four of them were out of the tent and looking at Mr. Diagoras, who said, "I need men, volunteers. I've got a little work for you. And you sure look like you could use the money."

With a nod of his head, the young man asked him, "Yeah, what is the money?"

With a nod of his own head, Mr. Diagoras said, "A dollar a day."

While Annabelle had only snorted to herself in response to his words, Solomon asked him, "What's the work?"

Mr. Diagoras told him, "A little trip down the sewers. Got a tunnel collapsed, needs clearing and fixing. Any takers?"

In turn, Solomon said, "A dollar a day is a slave wage. And men don't always come back up, do they?"

With a shake of his head, Mr. Diagoras replied, "Accidents happen."

It was then that the Doctor asked him, "What do you mean, what sort of accidents?"

With yet another shake of his head, Mr. Diagoras said, "You don't need the work, that's fine. Anybody else?" After the Doctor had raised his hand, he said, "Enough with the questions."

In turn, the Doctor said to him, "Oh, no, no, no. I'm volunteering. I'll go."

As she started to raise her own hand, Martha told the Doctor, "I'll kill you for this."

While the Doctor had only let out a chuckle, Annabelle had raised her own hand with a mere roll of her eyes, shortly before Mr. Diagoras asked them, "Anybody else?"