four | daleks in manhattan

Magsimula sa umpisa

Martha asked him, "What, they actually live in the park? In the middle of the city?"

With a sigh, the Doctor said to her, "Well, not everyone is an Original vampire that can compel others into keeping their home from being stolen out from under them." After glancing over at Annabelle and seeing the way that she was looking at him, he said to her, "Sorry."

When Annabelle had only continued to stare at him with a blank look on her face, the Doctor had simply grimaced to himself before he brought his attention back over to Martha when she'd asked him another question.

* * *

While the three of them had walked through Hooverville, the Doctor told Martha, "Ordinary people lost their jobs, couldn't pay the rent, they lost everything. There are places like this all over America. No one's helping them. You only come to Hooverville when there's nowhere else to go."

It wasn't long afterwards that they heard a voice yell, "You thieving low life!" While Annabelle had turned to the fighting that was occurring after hearing a groan, one of the men went to kick the other as he said, "All morning I wait in the bread line for a single loaf..."

In turn, the other man said to him, "I didn't touch it."

After glancing over at the Doctor and Martha and seeing how they both started to walk in the direction of the current fighting, Annabelle had only let out a sigh before she went to walk after them at the same time that she heard another voice yell, "Cut that out! Cut it out, right now."

The first voice yelled, "He stole my bread!"

Then the third voice yelled, "That's enough!" Then Annabelle watched as the third man turned to the second one and asked him, "Did you take it?"

The second man replied, "I don't know what happened, he just went crazy."

When the first man had attempted to throw himself at the second one once more, the third man yelled, "That's enough!" Then he turned to the second man and said to him, "Now, think real careful before you lie to me."

With a shake of his head, the second man told him, "I'm starving, Solomon."

When Solomon simply held out a single hand towards him, the man took the loaf of bread out of his coat before Solomon said to him, "We all starving. We all got family somewhere." After breaking the bread apart and handing it to the two men, Solomon said to them, "No stealing and no fighting. You know the rules. Thirteen years ago, I fought in the Great War. A lot of us did. And the only reason we got through because we stuck together. No matter how bad things get, we still act like human beings. It's all we got."

After the two men had gone their separate ways, the Doctor quietly said to Martha, "Come on." While Annabelle had simply rolled her eyes to herself as she walked after them and over towards Solomon, the Doctor said to him, "I suppose that makes you the boss around here."

In turn, Solomon asked him, "And, uh, who might you be?"

Martha told him, "He's the Doctor, I'm Martha and that's Annabelle."

With a mere tilt of his head, Solomon said, "A doctor? Well, we got, uh, stockbrokers, we've got a lawyer, but you're the first doctor. The neighborhood gets classier by the day."

It was then that Martha asked him, "How many people live here?"

Solomon told her, "Any one time, hundreds. No place else to go. But I will say this about Hooverville, we a truly equal society. Black, white, all the same, all starving. So you're welcome, all three of you." Then he looked over at the Doctor and asked him, "But tell me, Doctor, you're a man of learning, right? Explain this to me."