- 01. 𝗔 𝗗𝗮𝘆 𝗜𝗻 𝗠𝘆 𝗟𝗶𝗳𝗲 -

.
.
.

It was 4:00 am on a Thursday morning. Jake felt vibrations on his thigh from his phone. He opened his eyes slowly before rubbing them to wake himself up. After blinking a few times he got out of his bed stumbling a bit. He turned off his phone and got ready quietly. He quickly threw on an oversized hoodie with his school's logo on it and a pair of blue jeans. When brushing his teeth he only used a small amount of water. He barely turned the knobs he was content with the small stream of water coming out of the faucet. There was no way he could take a shower. He'd rather eat his least favorite food for a whole year than have to go through what would happen if he disturbed the animal in the other room's slumber.

After brushing his teeth he tiptoed into his father's room. Loud snores could be heard coming from the man as he slept. Jake quietly went to his bedside table and grabbed his wallet. He took out $20.00 and shoved it into his pocket. Then he got onto the floor and grabbed a box from under the bed. The box was brown and had children's drawings on it. He opened it revealing a collection of beautiful pieces of jewelry. He carefully took out a gold watch and swiftly closed the box and put it where it was.

He then left, the room looking the same as before. He looked at the time on his phone, it was 4:31 am. The boy grabbed his backpack and left the house making sure not to wake the sleeping man.

When he closed the door he ran towards Choi's Chai, a café that was local to his town. He knocked on the door. A minute later a half-awake boy opened the door giving him a big smile, his dimples seemed to smile at him too. "Morning, Soobin hyung," Jake said walking into the building. "Morning," Soobin said in a husky voice, it was obvious he had just woken up. "Didn't mean to wake you," Jake said sitting down at a booth by the window. "It's fine, I'm used to it by now," The boy said going behind the counter.

Jake unzipped his backpack and took out his laptop and a folder. "What's that?" Soobin asked. "Homework," Jake answered. "That's a lot of homework," Soobin said counting the amount of paper that was on the table. "It's only three different assignments," Jake replied. "That's still a lot," Soobin muttered loud enough for Jake to hear. "When do you ever not study or do work?" Soobin asked in a joking manner but he was genuinely concerned. "I'm fine," Jake said smiling cutely. Soobin couldn't help but smile at the younger. He found him adorable.

The café opened at 7:00 am and the time was now 6:25 am. Soobin and two other employees started to get the place ready to open. Jake was peacefully doing his work. When he saw other people walking through the window he got a brush out of his backpack and started to do his hair. He wanted to look a least a little presentable. He then sprayed a bit of perfume on himself. After freshening up a little bit he got back to work. When the café opened Soobin walked up to Jake with a drink in his hand. "One Chai latte for my favorite customer," Soobin said smiling. Jake pulled out $10 from his pocket but before he could hand it to the barista he was cut off. "No need, it's on the house," Soobin said placing the drink on the table. "No, I insist," Jake insisted shaking his head. "No," Soobin snapped raising his voice a little.

Jake jumped a bit at the older's sudden reaction. "Sorry, I meant no. You don't look good. A free drink is the least I could do for you," Soobin said now talking normally. Jake nodded once in response. "If you have anything you want to talk about I'm here," Soobin offered before going to greet a customer. Jake sighed and looked at his wrist. It was decorated with scratches, some had dried up blood on them and were healing. His wrist also had an elastic hair tie on it. He never took it off no matter what he was doing he had it on. He pulled his sleeve down and packed up his things. Then he said bye to Soobin and his coworkers and headed towards school.

When Jake got to school he saw Sunghoon waiting for him at the entrance door. Jake quickly went up to him and they walked to the side of the school. "Where's my stuff?" Sunghoon asked straight to the point. Jake took his backpack off and opened it up. He took the folder he had earlier out and opened it. "Here's your homework for bio, chem, and algebra," Jake said giving him the papers. "And before you ask, yes, I did change the words," Jake added. "And," Sunghoon said holding his other hand out. Jake took out the money and watch. "The watch is worth around $380, so in total, this should equate to around $400. Is this good enough?" Jake said handing the younger the items. "Thanks, Jaeyun-ah," Sunghoon said before putting everything in his bag and leaving not giving Jake any time to say anything. Jake's lips formed a line. He stood there for a second before heading to class.

After the bell rang Jake went to his locker to put up and get his things. When he was getting his laptop someone bumped into him causing it to fly out of his hands and land on the ground making a loud crash. Jake jumped back bumping into the locker. "Oh, shit, I'm so sorry," The boy said bowing repeatedly. Jake's eyes started to water and his arm started to shake. "I'm so sorry," The boy repeated. "I-it's okay," Jake said looking down.

The boy then left. Jake hesitated before walking towards his laptop. He opened it and it was ruined. Jake's heart started beating rapidly. When he saw the screen he almost immediately shut it. He picked up the laptop and took out the USB. As he walked you could see the broken device shaking in his hand. He threw it away in the trashcan at the back of the school. When he did he started walking back home, tears flowing out of his eyes. His finger then started gravitating towards his left arm. He pulled down his sleeve and pulled it.

Pop!... "One"
Pop!... "Two"
Pop!... "Three"

Jake rubbed his wrist before pulling his sleeve down. He then wiped the tears off his face and pulled out his phone. He looked into the camera to see if it looked like he was crying. It definitely did. He groaned before walking home, somewhere he didn't want to go but he had no choice. If he went to the café Soobin would ask too many questions. He walked as slowly as he could and took the long way home. When he got home it was 5:36 pm, two hours after school ended.

When he opened the door he saw his dad on the couch, bottles of beer all over the coffee table and one in his hand. "Where the fuck is my money?!" Mr. Sim yelled as soon as he heard the door open. "I don't know," Jake lied tears forming in his eyes already. "Stop lying to me you little shit!" He yelled louder than before. "I d-don't know, I-I s-swear," Jake stuttered trying to go to his room. "You're just like your mother! A fucking disappointment and a no-good liar!" He yelled throwing his bottle.

Jake jumped and covered his ears. "Act like a fucking man, you're seventeen. Why are you getting so scared by glass?!" He shouted walking towards Jake. "P-please d-don't hur-" He got cut off by a harsh slap on the cheek. "Go to your room now!" His dad yelled causing Jake to quickly enter his room and lock the door. The boy sat on his bed and started pulling the hair tie.

Pop!...
Pop!...
Pop!...
Pop!...
Pop!...

Tears were flowing down his face like a waterfall. He was letting out quiet sobs. He hated the way he felt. He wanted to escape the hell hole he had to live in. He wanted help but was too scared to tell anyone. What if his dad found out? He'd be dead. He was terrified of his father. He was terrified of what he'd do. He was scared and didn't know what to do.

He stopped popping himself after doing it thirty times. He normally didn't do it that many times but he was also upset about his laptop. That's where he did all of his work.

He started taking deep breaths. He slowly stopped crying and calmed down. He hugged his
pillow before falling asleep.
.
.
.

a/n note!!: i low key hate this chapter along with chapter two. the other chapters will be better though.

And if you ever feel like committing suicide please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
1-800-273-8255
Things will get better, I promise.
- May 🌷

1555 words.