Deleted Scene

Author Note: Hi! This is so random, but it's Valentine's Day! I don't know why I want to share this, but I think about this scene every blue moon and wanted you all to read it. It's just a quick scene that I think is funny.

Context: At the sunflower field, Nora told Wren she's always wanted to be chased. In movies, when the girl gets on the train to leave and the boy chases after the train until the last moment. She's always wondered what that feels like.

So, in this scene, Wren just played at a festival and he wants to take Nora home. Val offered to take them home, but Wren wanted to take the bus. (He's never ridden the bus before.) But on their way to the bus, a group of fans stop him and kinda swarm him. She can't wait for him because the bus is coming, and this is what happens next.

Deleted Scene

The group was feisty, pushing me up the stairs when I held up the line. Paying for my fare, I took a seat closest to the door and looked out the window. A cluster of admirers who seemed to appear out of thin air devoured Wren whole. I couldn't see him but knew he was somewhere in the middle charming them with his smile and questions.

Annoyance trickled into my mind as I returned my attention to the road. I'm glad I didn't waste my money paying for him. I could've been in Val's car right now.

When the last passenger found their seat, the driver pulled onto the main road. I fought every fiber of my being not to look back. But I lost the battle as soon as an eruption of shrieks pierced the sky.

Wren muscled through the crowd and, with all his vigor, launched himself forward. The heels of his feet dug into the grass as he kicked up dirt. His big, unmistakable smile was on full display. He ran like hell was after him. And the words I spoke haphazardly at the sunflower field funneled through my mind. I wanted to be chased.

"Oh, God." I knew now. He would do anything I said. It didn't matter if it was a dream or useless chatter, everything meant something to him.

"What is that guy doing?" a girl shouted in the back.

An elderly man peeked back, shaking his head. "That white boy crazy."

Wren ran the length of the bus, nearly making it to the front. I sunk into my seat as passengers pushed their windows open. They shouted in fear, humor, and excitement, all swapping their attention from me to him. The damn man thought he could outrun a bus?!

"Nora!" he shouted breathlessly, and finally the bus driver pulled over.

When it was safe, Wren ventured in, getting an ear full of the driver's reprimands. He tried to get to me, but the driver stopped him short. "You gotta pay to ride."

"You mean this isn't free?" It was safe to say Wren was the entertainment for the crowd as they hollered in laughter.

The passengers buzzed with lively banter and he fell right into it. They playfully chided each other until the bus pulled back into the road. When Wren seemed to disarm even the grumpy old man in the corner, he fell into the seat next to me. Placing his arms onto my shoulder like it was meant to be there, he leaned into my side. He was a little too comfortable after such a display. It only proved he still had all the power.

Launching to my feet, his arm fell to his. I swung my hips, crossed my arms, and within seconds, every eye was on me. "You really think I'd take you back?"

The bus driver halted as Wren crouched forward. "W-what?"

Now that I had gotten his attention, I felt satisfied and swung my hand across his face. The sound cracked against the tight space, making me wince. I meant to slap him lightly, but when his skin tinted red, I almost apologized. It was the look on his face that almost broke me, but my secret laugh sounded more like a shuddered cry. "It's over."

Flying down the steps, I met the night air once again. Before the driver could pull off, I made out the faint sound of Wren's shouts. Laughter filled my stomach, erupting until I could barely stand.

For the final time, the bus made an un-routine stop, and let Wren off. "He almost wouldn't let me leave."

My lips tighten at the redness of his cheek. I pressed my hand into his warm skin and he leaned into my touch. "Yeah, you got me good."

"I'm sorry. I thought I did it lightly."

"Well, I damn sure don't want to know what's hard for you," he chuckled, stepping closer. "Now I know how it feels to be put on the spot by a sudden declaration. I get it, Songbird, you're on the scoreboard."

I laughed as he took my hand. I guess he decided we would walk the rest of the way.