6. The Best Friends in the World

Moondancer trudged through the halls of Crystal Prep. She had slept well, but still felt emotionally exhausted. She knew she would have to see Indigo Zap again today, and she wasn't looking forward to it at all.

She must have looked off, because her mom had asked if she slept well. I can't tell anyone what's going on...

Sunny Flare approached her, waving cheerfully. "Hi, Moondancer," she greeted her, but as she got closer her expression changed to one of concern. "You look really tired. Are you okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine," Moondancer lied.

"Good," Sunny replied. "I never got to thank you for all your help yesterday at the mall. You really are a rare friend to come by, you know? I really feel a lot better about getting up and coming to school these days knowing you're here to help me whenever I need it."

"Of course," Moondancer said. Then she remembered what they talked about at the mall yesterday. "So, how about ice cream this afternoon?"

"I still have to uh...decide," Sunny replied nervously. "Sour Sweet is out sick today, so we need to take her homework to her." She frowned. "It's a shame she has to do so much school work while she's sick with such a bad cold."

"Yeah, it is," Moondancer nodded slowly, hoping this wasn't going where she thought it was. "Sorry to hear."

Sunny stared off in thought for a moment, then gasped as she got an idea. "Wait!" she exclaimed. "You know what would make her the happiest girl in the world?"

"If we bring her ice cream?" Moondancer suggested. "Sing her songs? Have a girls sleepover night?"

"Yeah yeah," Sunny waved her hand, dismissing the ideas. "But I was thinking maybe if her homework was all done for her! Oh my gosh, I hate to ask you, but do you think you could help me? You and I together could finish her assignments for her, and we can do ours at the same time."

"Actually, um..." Moondancer hesitated. Maybe now was the time to speak up, and tell her the truth. Well, not the entire truth. As she was about to speak, she thought against it. Sour Sweet was sick, and if she said no, then Sunny might try to make her feel guilty. Sunny was right, and Sour Sweet could use the help today. Just once more. "Well, I guess so." She agreed.

"Lovely!" Sunny exclaimed happily. "We can do it at the ice cream shop, then I'll take it to her place and surprise her."

"And we can take her ice cream, too," Moondancer added.

"Sounds like a plan," Sunny said, hugging Moondancer. "She's going to feel so relieved."

The hug lasted a few seconds, then Sunny let go and smiled at Moondancer, but she noticed Moondancer was not smiling in return.

"Sunny, um..." Moondancer began. She could at least express how she had been feeling. Sunny Flare was her friend! She would understand. "I really need to ask you something that's been on my mind."

"Of course, deary," Sunny said. "I'm all ears. For the next 8 minutes of course, then we need to hurry off to class."

Moondancer paused for a minute, then laughed nervously, adjusting her glasses. "Please don't take it the wrong way," she started. "But...I feel like you and Sour Sweet sometimes...you know, care a lot about homework." This was coming out all wrong. "And of course, I do too, but..." she took a deep breath. "That's not why you made friends with me, is it?"

Sunny Flare gasped, surprised her friend would even think such a thing. "What?! No, no, no, don't even say that. We love you, bestie!"

"That's what I thought," Moondancer said, relieved. That was not so hard. "Just making sure. So...if I say, stopped helping you with your homework...nothing would change in our friendship?" There was a long pause.