Chapter 12: Making Things Right

When you start yawning, Solomon smiles and gently brings the lightshow to a close. You've been through a lot. He gently nudges you. "Time to head back into the room?"

"... Yeah, I suppose.." You murmur, pouting. You could sleep here in this hallway against Solomon. You've slept in less comfortable places.

Solomon grins, gently reaching over to scritch your scalp with the hand he'd been using for the lightshow. "C'mon. Let's getcha in some jammies and ready for bed."

---

Inside the room, Beelzebub and Belphegor are chatting. Belphegor is now less giddy from the chaos, and much more giddy to be able to get to exercise and have his freedom once again. When you return, Simeon and Luke head out to the kitchen. Solomon waves you off before heading off to hunt down the sweets the angels are about to make. You might be sleepy, but Solomon's got thinking to do.

He has a lot to learn about Night Raven College, after all.

Once you're back, and everyone else from Purgatory Hall is gone, Beelzebub decides to ask Belphegor what exactly was the reason that he was locked away. Belphegor glances at you, and you can see him looking you over as though he's trying to read your thoughts on that question, but Beelzebub expresses that you put a lot on the line for him, and you deserve an answer too.

Belphegor watches the way Beelzebub treats you. He sees one of his closest loved ones caring for a human again and he feels frustrated. Though he may be free, that anger hasn't simmered. When he looks at you, he sees a threat to the only family he has left.

He's about to start answering, when the door swings open. All three of you look over to see Lord Diavolo and Barbatos.

"Hello Belphegor. It's been a while." Diavolo smiles. Belphegor looks less than pleased. "To answer your question, Beelzebub, it was because he might have tried to destroy the human realm. That is why Lucifer did what he did."

You and Beelzebub both look to Belphegor. He scowls and looks away as he spits; "Obviously, they think they know everything about the situation, so I guess whatever I say doesn't matter."

Diavolo begins to recount the birth of the exchange program. He explains that Belphegor adamantly opposed it, to which he adds "You've always hated humans, haven't you, Belphegor?" but he goes on to explain that he himself had no idea that Belphegor had been locked away until he'd gone to visit Lucifer at the House of Lamentation this evening.

He claims that Lucifer sheltered Belphegor, which makes Belphegor pissed at the mere insinuation that imprisoning him was in any way 'kind'.

Diavolo explains that Lucifer had been sheltering Belphegor from what Diavolo would do to him. He explains that upon hearing what Belphegor would have done to the humans, he would have put him in chains. Barbatos begins to speak a spell that binds Belphegor on the spot.

He's been charged with treason.

Beelzebub begins getting angry, and tensions and volumes rise, attracting attention from the other tenants from Purgatory Hall. You stand up, stepping between Diavolo, Barbatos, and Belphegor. A familiar sensation washes over you and Beelzebub, who immediately begins getting flashbacks to the underground tomb. You stepping in makes him worried for your safety too.

After all, Diavolo can't save you from himself.

"Now wait a minute. He just got out of a really rough situation. It sounds like there's a lot more to the story than he's even gotten the chance to explain, and he hasn't really been able to plead his case to anyone except the person who locked him away. And I think we all know that while Lucifer is a responsible person, he's hardly great with tough emotional shit. I think we should give him the chance to explain his side of the story, don't you?"

"I'm sorry, ___. At this time, it's too dangerous for us to allow Belphegor to stand free."

"So you're just gonna lock him away again? Doesn't he have a right to a fair trial or something?" Belphegor watches you, shocked and astounded that you're going to bat for him. He already deduced that you don't know what he's done.. So seeing this side of you, seeing you stand up to the ruler of hell on his behalf, he can't help but feel completely thrown off. He can see Beelzebub relaxing as you take charge in the conversation. Beelzebub trusts you, and he knows if anyone can fix this, it's you.

Seeing his twin have this much faith in you, and seeing you fight for him, Belphegor is stunned to silence.