Chapter 29

Imani's P.O.V.

"Ry, wake up. We're landing, you have to put your seatbelt on."

"mmhmm." She mumbled in her sleep as she tossed and turned making me lean over and buckle her seatbelt for her.

Just looking down at her belly made me emotional. I reached over and rubbed her full stomach thinking about the fact that I'm going to be a father soon. I don't think I'm ready but honestly, I don't know if anyone ever is. I'm stepping up and being the man I need to be but its a lot and I'm just trying to stay on track and not risk my future.

I know that if I relapse, Ryan won't let me see my child. It's fair and it keeps me on the right path because I want nothing more than to be everything my pops wasn't. Me and him are straight now, but it was tough growing up, I really used to hate him before I met him and we fixed things. I want my kid to know me from day one and know they can trust me and come to me for anything in this world. I see the way Aubrey is with Adonis and even the way my dad is with my lil sis and I want to be like that.

We landed and made our way through the private airport and into the waiting escalade.

"So, you're going to stay in our old place?" I asked.

"Yeah, thank you for understanding that I don't want us to live together again right away. I really appreciate how patient you've been with me. I love you, so much and I really want this to work. This time next year, I want us to be back together, running around in our back yard with our little baby. I just need time, baby"

"I love you, too." I said as I leaned over and kissed her forehead.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Two Hours Later

We finally landed in Toronto and I dropped Ryan back at our old apartment. She's staying there until I find her a new spot with enough room for her and the baby. Because were technically not back together yet, I'll be staying at the apartment that the Raptors give all the players with their contract. It's nothing crazy but it really close to the practice gym so it helps to keep me out of trouble.

My phone buzzed and I saw it was my teammate Gary Trent, he was texting me saying he was at the practice gym now, reminding me that we have practice today. I got my bag together and headed to the gym. I was excited to get back in the gym and see the rest of he guys but I was also nervous about how they would react to me being back and what they're gonna say.

At Practice

"I know it's early, but this feels like a championship team! We got one of the stars of last years championship winning team back on the squad! Imani Smith! It's great to have you back with us."

"Thank you for having my back. It's been a tough road back since last season but I'm here and I'm ready to put in work and take us back to the chip!"

"That's what I'm talkin bout!" One of the guys yelled!

I was happy to be back and I was even happier to see that nobody was judging me for everything that happened in the offseason.

I made my way back to my apartment to eat and then get back in the gym for some weight training and then get back for my biweekly online NA meeting. These meetings aren't my favourite thing, but they are what I need to do. When I was in rehab they stressed how important NA meetings and having a sobriety sponsor is to staying clean long term.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Aubrey's P.O.V.

With all the stuff going on with Liyah moving in with me, I haven't really had the time to talk to her about all the XXX stuff going on in court. My lawyer is supposed to appear in court to defend me next week and my girl doesn't even know what I'm being accused of. I feel bad but I just don't want her to look at me differently. I love Aaliyah with all my heart and it would break me if the look she has in her eye when she sees me were to fade. I have to tell her the truth, I just don't know how.