Chapter 15

Aaliyah's P.O.V.
Draft Night
"Aw Imani! You look so good, I'm so proud of you and so excited to see how tonight turns out!" I said as Imani came into the living room fully dressed.

"Thanks ma! Whatever happens tonight, I really owe it all to you. You took care of me all by yourself and never doubted me, I'll never forget that. Love you mom." Imani said as he pulled me into a hug.

"Aw stay still let me take a picture!" I heard Andre say as he and Marcus came into the room.

We took a few pictures together, then some of him and Marcus and then him and Chris, then the three of us and then all of us together.

After we finished with the pictures, we headed to the sprinter van the NBA sent for us. It was me, Imani, Chris, Marcus, and Andre (bully). We got in and headed over to the arena to meet Aubrey and have the night begin.

We got there and met Aubrey at our table. There were cameras on our face the whole time so we decided to keep the PDA to a minimum. Tonight is Imani's night.

"So, what workout do you think went the best? Who do you think is going to draft you?" Aubrey asked Imani as we sat at our table waiting for my dad to get here.

"Honestly, I think the Suns are going to draft me. I had the best workout with them, but their pick isn't until later on in the draft so we better get comfortable!" Imani said settling into his seat.

After about 15 minutes, my dad got here dressed to impress in a full suit.

"Aye, Pops! I was waiting for you to get here. I was just telling everybody we probably gotta get comfortable, I think I'm going to the Suns and their pick is number 12 so we'll see." Imani told him.

"I can't wait kid, I'm just happy I'm alive to see this amazing accomplishment. I'm so proud of you Mani, you worked so hard for this moment.
————————————————————
The draft begins.

They call out the third pick and the Cleveland Cavaliers picked Evan Mobley, a player from USC. The next pick was the Toronto Raptors, Aubrey was excited because he was a brand ambassador for the team and would be working with whoever they picked. Imani on the other hand, was not looking forward to it because he failed at his workout and just knew they wouldn't pick him. He was disappointed in himself but I knew he would get over it eventually.

A sound chimes, and the NBA commissioner Adam Silver comes out to the podium.

"For the fourth overall pick, the Toronto Raptors select... Imani Smith."

"what the fuck?" I heard Imani say under his breath.

"Oh my god, Imani, you're going to the Raptors!" My Dad expressed.

"Congratulations, my boy! I'm so proud of you! We're gonna be right there court side at your first game!" Aubrey said excitedly.

"Thats what I'm talking about! I'm so proud of you Imani!" Marcus cheered.

"That's my nephew!" Bully yelled.

"All your hard work, for this moment. Speak it up kid. I'm so proud of you!" Chris told him.

"My baby boy. I knew you could do it." I told him.