"Well, tell me your baggage, and I'll tell you mine," Beth joked.

"Maybe," he spoke as a genuine smile appeared on his face. A smile that warmed the banshee's heart.

Beth shook her head as the memory faded from her mind. It was mind-boggling to think that the person who she spoke to then was the same person who she had seen earlier that day. But then again, he was also the same man who sacrificed Jenna and Elena.

Klaus was a damaged man ruled by his emotions, the biggest being his anger and fear. He didn't fear people or things but feared being alone. She had known this for a long time, but she thought maybe, just maybe, she would be enough. Enough to look past his fear.

She hoped that he would see that he wouldn't be alone. Not when she offered to leave everything behind for him. But as much as she wanted him to, he didn't see it. Instead, he decided the doppelganger blood to make hybrids was more important.

It was the next morning when Beth heard a knock at her front door and went over to see who it was. It was exactly who she had been thinking about all night.

"Hello, love," he smiled, "May I come in?"

Beth attempted to close the door, but he held it open, still unable to cross it.

"You don't get to do this," she huffed.

"Come on, love. Invite me in," he pleaded.

"For what? You made your priorities clear to me," she said. Beth couldn't help agreeing when she saw the look his blue eyes were giving, "Fine. Come in."

"Thank you," he said before he crossed through her front door.

"Now, how can I help you?"

"I've come to to take you with me."

"You have to be joking."

"No. You said you would come if I didn't bring the doppelganger blood with me, and I'm not."

"I wanted you to choose that not because Rebekah destroyed your blood bags!"

"I would have chosen you, Beth!"

"That's not true, or you wouldn't have been so angry when she did it."

"Rebekah stirred emotions in me before I had a chance to process your request. I am not lying when I say, I would have chosen you."

"I don't believe you. I wish I did. I wish I could. But I can't," she said as a single tear streamed down her cheek that she was quick to wipe away, "I think we just need some time. I just need some time. I thought this, us, could finally happen. I really did... but it can't."

The hope the hybrid held had been crushed. He looked down to avoid her gaze. To hide the feelings that were so apparent on his face. His eyes blinked back the tears he held before he looked up and spoke, "As you wish."

As soon as the words left his rosy lips, he sped past the open front door, and in a second, he was gone. Beth ran to shut the door as sobs escaped her lips. Her sobs grew louder rather than quieter as she collapsed onto the floor.