17 - Done something right

Start from the beginning

'I wasn't saying that I-'

'Whatever. Yes, you're not going anywhere without supervision yet, princess. And don't try anything, or he'll put a chain around your ankle to keep you in your hallway.'

'You're joking, right?' I ask nervously.

'It's been done', he shrugs.

'Okay... well, I won't try anything. I'm just looking forward to having a nice lunch outside this hallway and I couldn't wish for a better person so share it with, Cal.'

'Hm', he grunts. I smirk behind his back and follow him without further comment. I decide to focus on everything around me instead.

This place is huge. Grey hallways followgrey hallways until we're at a sort of platform where we go down a set of stairs to get to the ground floor. I recognize the stairs and the big hall we walk into. Simon and David dragged me through here to get me to Negan.

I try to remember my way in case we ever do get a chance to make a run for it, but honestly, I couldn't even find my way back to our room on my own once we've finally made it to the cafeteria. I hope we'll be allowed to eat here every day from now on so I can learn my way around here.

'Have at it, doc', Cal tells me when we've reached the counter. Plates and bowls are stacked up and behind the counter there's people serving out food.

'I can just get whatever?' I ask doubtfully.

'Yup. What's on the menu, Izzy?'

I look up to listen as a woman behind the counter tells Cal what they're serving.

'We've got tomato soup, it's pretty good if I do say so myself. Or you can get some mashed potatoes with beans on the side. Wouldn't recommend it, smells a bit sketchy if I'm being honest. Or I can make you a sandwich, but we're low on bread, so they're pricy.'

'Pricy?' I ask, earning a rather annoyed look from Cal. Sometimes I wonder if guarding me is some sort of punishment for him since he seems to hate it so much. 'Are we supposed to pay for this?'

'We are', he says, grabbing himself a serving of the mashed potatoes with beans. 'But you're not.'

'She doesn't pay?' Izzy asks, catching on to the conversation.

'She's the new doc', Cal explains.

'Ah, are you?' Izzy asks, throwing me a curious look. 'Well, what can I get you, sugar?'

'Um, I guess I'll have a sandwich then', I say. 'And the tomato soup if it's really that good.'

'Made it myself.'

Izzy pours me a serving of soup in the bowl I hand her and then slices off some bread to make me a sandwich. She throws me another look while she works.

'So he just snatched you up from Alexandria and planted you in old Carson's office, did he?'

'Uhm, yeah, pretty much.'

I've gathered that Carson was the Sanctuary's old doctor. Of course, I already knew that. He was the Hilltop's doctor's brother. I guess they did the same thing to him that they did to me.

'And you're cool with that?'

'I mean', I say uncomfortably. 'Negan didn't give me very much choice, did he?'

'Well', she says, handing me my sandwich, 'hope things turn out better for you than they did for him.'

I smile awkwardly at her, then follow Cal to a table. He seems to eye my sandwich a little jealously and I have to admit that I take a tiny bit of pleasure out of that.