Chapter 3

I was awake before the rest, so Gandalf told me to wake the rest up, before calling them to council and breakfast.

All eyes were fixed expectantly on Gandalf, except for Frodo, Legolas and me, who looked elsewhere as we munched the food.

"Legolas and Strider have found a camp of six elves. They speak the High Tongue of Valinor." Instantly seven voices started to ask questions at the same time, and I winced at the noise.

"Listen to Gandalf." I called above their noise, and they became silent.

Gandalf nodded his thanks to me. "Now the question is should we talk to them? I say we should."

"But what is the High Tongue of Valinor?" Merry asked ignorantly.

"Aragorn?" Gandalf urged. I sighed.

"It's what the elves spoke in Valinor, before they came to Middle earth. It's the main language of the First Age."

"So, we've found elves from the First Age?" Boromir asked, frowning.

"Yes."

"Who are they?"

Gandalf sighed. "I believe they're the sons of Fëanor."

Now everyone looked incredulous, and the exclamations of those who knew who the Fëanorions were loud. "But they must have died?" I asked.

"Well, they're here. So, I presume they're not dead." The group fell silent, half stunned into silence, the other half glaring at Gandalf for his sarcasm.

"The only thing I want to know is why Aragorn was told of this and I wasn't." Legolas said coldly.

"I didn't know they were the sons of Fëanor?" I protested. "I didn't even see them." But Legolas glared at me anyway, and I felt slightly hurt.

"We can discuss that later. But should we go and meet them."

"No!" Boromir cried.

"No, they're elves." Gimli muttered loudly.

The hobbits, Legolas and I remained silent. "Frodo? Legolas? What do you think?" Gandalf prompted, guessing correctly what they were going to say.

"Are they the enemies of Sauron?" Frodo asked slowly, thinking about his words.

"Yes."

"Are you sure?"

"I knew them. They, of all people, would hate Sauron."

"I vote we should." Frodo nodded, and I smiled at him encouragingly.

"Legolas?"

"I vote we should." Legolas spoke, his voice hard.

"What do Aragorn and the younger hobbits say?" Boromir asked

"I say we should." I looked at Sam, Merry and Pippin.

"My vote is with Frodo's." Sam answered. Merry and Pippin nodded assent.

"Gandalf?"

"We should talk to them. The vote is all against two. We leave in half an hour." Gandalf stood, signifying that the meeting was over, and walked away, having finished breakfast. Legolas instantly followed him, while Boromir and Gimli rounded on me.

"Why should we speak to them?" Boromir asked.

"If we can get more to help those at Rivendell, then it is worthwhile."

"Help for the elves? Why should we care?" Gimli said harshly. My eyes narrowed.

"Elrond and my brothers are there. I don't want to lose them." I spoke, before standing and walking off, past the hobbits, who had begun to prepare breakfast, and over to the ridge, to stare out over the land and think in peace, and as I would never let them know, to blink away the tears that had sprung to my mind.