Chapter 2

The watches were supposed to shift that night, but neither Legolas nor I wanted to switch off guard, so we didn't wake Gimli and Frodo for their watch. Gandalf didn't sleep either, the only sign that he was awake was the smoke curling off his pipe as he stared off into the dark night.

"Aragorn." Legolas tapped me on my shoulder, startling me slightly, and I turned to face him. "There's a fire in the distance. It isn't that far. I'm going to see if it is orcs. Gandalf is keeping watch, if you want to come." I nodded and got to my feet, checking if my sword and knives were in their places.

Legolas fetched his bow and silently the two of us crept out of the camp. I could see the fire too, far away in the distance, and I knew it wasn't that long of a walk, but walking while remaining unseen was quite difficult.

When we were nearly halfway there, Legolas paused to listen. "They're speaking in Elvish. They're not orcs." I must have looked worried because Legolas continued. "They aren't from Rivendell. I don't recognize the language either. There are only a few of them." I nodded. "We can return to camp, and tomorrow, we will discuss with the other if we should try to find out who they are." I nodded again, and we turned around to head back to camp.

When we reached the camp, we found Frodo awake and talking softly to Gandalf. Legolas quietly informed both of them about what we'd found, as I returned to my watch position. Frodo eventually returned to bed, and Legolas to watch, but I knew Gandalf was thinking about what he'd been told.

"Aragorn." Gandalf spoke as he shuffled up behind me and sat down. "Who do you think they are?"

"I don't know. If Legolas, an elf, didn't recognize the language, then I don't know who it could be."

"I got Legolas to repeat some of it for me, and I think it is the High Tongue of Valinor."

"But most of them died?" I frowned.

"He repeated speech, and I won't tell him yet, but I caught some names."

"But most died in the battle in the First Age."

"These survived."

"They survived and hid?"

"That's what we've done so far." Gandalf chided me, and I reluctantly nodded. "Who exactly they are, I'll keep that to myself for now. But we should go meet them tomorrow." I nodded, trusting Gandalf's knowledge entirely

"We'll have to convince the others." I sighed.

"Yes. That'll be hard." I sighed. "But Aragorn, go to sleep. Legolas and I are happy to keep the watch and the two of us will have to do the speaking tomorrow."

"What about Legolas? He can speak too."

"He is too hot headed to try to negotiate with. Like Thranduil, he'll take offense at every little thing. And we know what Elrond told us." I winced at the clear insult of my friend, but I knew Gandalf was just speaking the truth. He was right, as usual.

"I'll sleep." I stood and descended the hill and found a place to rest for the rest of the night.