𝟏𝟕. so alone

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕. so alone
:: scottstreets

laurel was usually a very "chill" mom. or she was when she was in cousins, at least. it was the influence of susannah.

but now, laurel was shaking her head, with her arms crossed, staring at stella in disbelief. stella had just woken up, and she had a massive headache. the sun was too bright. and her hair had a huge knot in the back. she was standing in her thin, fraying tank top, and boxer shorts.

"what the hell has gotten into you?" laurel furrowed her brows. she was having trouble figuring out what was going on in her life.

stella crossed her arms and looked out the window at the sun and immediately regretted it.

"look, i don't know what is going on between you and belly. and i don't know why you're suddenly acting up- this isn't you. going out and coming home wasted, having shayla drop you off." laurel sighed, running her hands over her face.

stella stayed silent.

"i'm sorry." she whispered.

"do you know how embarrassed i was when i saw you like that yesterday? you're not one to neglect yourself and your reputation. you know better." laurel's lips settled in a fine line.

stella blinked, afraid she was going let out a tear.

of course laurel would be mad, stella understood that. even she was mad at herself. but the fact that laurel said she was embarrassed of her, felt like a slap to the face. it felt like laurel was ashamed of stella. maybe what laurel meant was she was ashamed of stella when she was high as hell and wasted, but to stella it meant something deeper.

to stella, the moments like yesterday was the moments where she was grieving. it felt like she was saying that she was ashamed of stella as a whole- the parts of herself where she was grieving and the parts of her who wants to have fun.

maybe she was being too sensitive. recently it feels like she was being too sensitive for everything.

"i'm sorry."

"sorry's not enough. you're grounded for three weeks. no seeing anyone, no going out at night, no more parties. and make up with belly please. apologize- whatever you've done."

"what if i haven't done anything? belly's the one who's only thinking about herself!" stella exclaimed, getting frustrated with belly's behaviour.

"mom, she's the one who's so self absorbed with herself she thinks everyone will modify to her own feelings," stella said.

"just solve your guys's problem." laurel sighed, leaving the kitchen and leaving stella alone.

she stared at where her mom used to stand, and wiped away at the tear falling down her cheek. she sighed once, breathed in twice, told herself everything was going to be okay three times, and turned around to walk back to her room- a place where she will be for the next three weeks.