𝟎𝟑. the beach bonfire

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞. the beach bonfire
:: bellysbonrad

stella watched as belly climbed out of the water. her younger sister wrapped herself with a towel and sat down next to her with her legs dipped in the pool.

"what are you thinking about?" belly poked stella's side, causing stella to laugh as she moved her legs in the water, extinguishing the reflection of herself.

"nothing," she replied, falling back gently on the pool deck so she was facing the night sky.

"c'mon- why are you being so quiet?" belly pushed further.

"no reason, i swear. i'm just tired."

"alright, i'm gonna go shower then." belly got up and adjusted her towel as she stepped back inside.

stella waved, staying silent.

the mosquitoes were buzzing, the air was a little hot and sticky, laurel and susannah were chatting and laughing, and music was playing in steven's room.

she raised only her head when she heard the door opening and shutting. she thought it was belly, coming back because she forgot something, but it was conrad.

he paused for a millisecond and stella laid back down, hoping he would walk away now, knowing that she was there. but he didn't do that. he continued walking up to the pool and sat down on the opposite side of where stella was.

stella sat up, getting ready to leave. however, she then wondered, why would she leave? she was here first. plus, she just got here.

she watched the boy from across the pool and saw him pulling out a joint. he took a drag and looked up at the sky, pretending stella wasn't there.

"i thought you said smoking pot changes the way your brain processes information." stella examined him.

he stared back at her with no expression. he was quiet for a moment before saying, "so does your cellphone."

"you always said that marijuana messes with white matter. you said that your brain is developing," stella said.

"why do you remember everything i say?" conrad leaned back, his body is supported by his arms.

stella broke eye contact, scoffing and looking away.

"weren't you the one who said athletes don't put shit in their bodies?"

"i'm not an athlete anymore. why do you care so much?" he took another drag, breathing out smoke.

"i think you should quit." stella stared at him.

he was silent until he said, "what are you gonna give me if i do?" his voice sounded raspy as he looked into stella's eyes.

stella paused.