𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆 𝘀𝗶𝘅.

chapter thirty six

{ unedited }

TODAY WAS THE DAY. It was the day Rowan could leave the juvenile centre and move in with Paul's friend. It only took two days, contrary to how long Paul thought it would take. The last Monday before winter break, Rowan had been woken up by guards at five in the morning to pack her things, which was only what she had on her person, and was now in the car with Jay as he drove her to her temporary home at five-fifteen in the morning.

Rowan's knee was bouncing as Jay parked the car outside of a rather big house, this time from excitement rather than nerves. She was finally getting a taste of freedom again, no longer bound behind cement walls and metal gates. She was still yet to receive her phone and car back but this was a start.

"Okay, listen kid," Jay started, the lack of kindness and empathy still apparent in his voice and expression as Rowan looked away from the window, meeting his gaze. "I know Paul already explained this all to you but it's my job to go over it again. You still have to take part in this investigation and can't see your brother until the cops say it's alright to do so. You won't be supervised so we're trusting you'll follow that rule. Your phone should be with you by the end of the day and, as for your car, I'm not sure when you'll get that back. When the time is right, you'll have a police officer, most likely Detective Brooks and myself will escort you to your old house so you can pick up your things. We'll have to find a time when Hugo won't be there and, since he's been temporarily suspended, it may take a while. Will that be okay?"

"I guess," Rowan shrugged. "Can I go now?" She asked, her hand itching towards the door handle and she audibly groaned when Jay said there was just one more thing before she could go in. Jay dug his hand into the pocket of his jacket, pulling out a bottle and holding it between them. "What is it?" Rowan asked, taking it from him.

"Xanax. I talked to Paul about your sleeping problem and he wrote a prescription for you. He'll probably ask you about it and prescribe something better for you but for now take one every night before you sleep." Rowan was surprised Jay followed through with what he said, not expecting the man to care enough to do so.

"Thanks." Rowan pocketed the bottle and opened the door, finally being able to step out of the car and took in a deep breath as the door slammed shut behind her. She was about to walk to the doorstep when Jay's voice stopped her.

"Hey, Rowan?" Holding back the urge to roll her eyes, Rowan turned around to the car and crouched down so she was looking in through the open window. Jay looked like he was contemplating something in his mind and settled on saying, "be safe." It wasn't what he wanted to say, Rowan could tell, and she could tell how he seemed to be refraining himself from saying more but Rowan didn't care enough to ask. All she did was nod before turning away from him and making her way to the house.

The door opened as soon as she came to a stop before she had the chance to ring the doorbell, and Rowan was attacked with a hug. Maybe to say she was attacked was a slight exaggeration but she hated it nonetheless so it felt like an attack on her personal space.

"Rowan, it's so nice to meet you," the person spoke, their voice heavy with an Irish accent, still hugging her. "Oh god, let me introduce myself," they said as they finally let go of her. He was a rather tall man with ginger hair that was fairly long for a man, ending by his jaw, freckled pale skin and hazel eyes. "My name is Bobby. Bob is fine. Come on in, come in!"

He was too enthusiastic for Rowan's liking but she held back her complaints as she followed him into the house, knowing that he was the only one kind enough to let her stay with him and cover her medical bills. Rowan wanted to ask why he would do that, she knew it wouldn't be cheap, but she didn't want to seem rude to the man opening up his home for her.