𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘀𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻.

chapter seventeen

{ heavily unedited }

ROWAN WAS ALREADY LATE FOR THE PARTY ABBY INVITED HER TO AND THE SITUATION ON HER DOORSTEP WAS NOT MAKING IT ANY BETTER. Calling a situation was putting it nicely. It was more of a disaster and Rowan wanted to leave it as it was but she knew if anyone saw it would only bring more unwanted attention to herself and Cameron. So, Rowan looked down at her father drunk on their lawn, curled into a ball whilst hugging a bottle to his chest.

"Get up," Rowan spoke with a monotone as she stood over him, arms crossed over her chest. Hugo rolled over to face her, his grip on his half-empty bottle loosening. "Get up, Hugo."

"I miss your mom," he cried, his tears falling onto the grass. Rowan knew she should feel some sort of pity for him but she didn't feel anything and that he brought on himself. Instead of pity, instead of feeling sorry for him, she was angry that he had abandoned Cameron right at the start of the Fall Fest when he insisted on spending time with him.

"I don't care. Miss her in the house. You're making a scene. Don't you have a reputation to keep? Get up." Hugo did not get up. He kept crying, muttering on about how he missed his wife and, though she knew it would bite her in the ass later, Rowan kicked his side harshly. "Did you not hear me? Get up. You can mope inside."

"I never remembered you being so cruel..."

"Yeah, and who's fault is that? Get up, Hugo, or I'll drag you in myself." Rowan raised a brow, waiting for Hugo to make any movement but got none. She sighed, turning away from the man. "Alright, you asked for this." Since she had already kept the door open to make it easier for him to walk in, she went straight to crouching down behind him and hooking her arms under his and pulling him to the door.

Rowan was thankful no one was walking about and that it would be too dark to fully notice what was going on unless looking on closely. Rowan kicked her foot out from behind and pushed the door open further before pulling the sobbing man in. She let go of his arms when she pulled him fully into the house. She considered getting him to bed and on his side but decided against it as she walked out, leaving him on the floor and slamming the door shut behind her.

° ✩ • ☽ ° ✩ •

Rowan walked down the stairs to Brodie's basement, her nose scrunching at the smell of cheap alcohol wafting up. Rowan stopped on the stairs, looking down at the people in costumes. All seemed to have elaborate costumes while she was in a simple pair of thrifted jeans and short sleeve polo shirt. The jeans were a wide leg baggy style and faded dark grey with a patchwork style and a pocket stitched in on each leg going from the mid-thigh to knees whilst the shirt was black with a white collar and words too faded away to read across the chest. Rowan didn't care though as she looked around for Abby but didn't see her anywhere. Still, Rowan made her way down the stairs and held back a groan when Ginny and Max stopped in front of her, stopping her from taking another step forward.

"We told you we don't want you here," Ginny said but all Rowan could focus on was the hideous blonde wig she was wearing. "Did you not hear us? We don't want―"

"No, no, I heard you. Loud and clear. I just don't care." Rowan scanned the place in case she had missed something and maybe Abby was wearing a wig that she dismissed but nothing. Abby was nowhere to be seen. Norah, however, was as she made her way to the three.