Chapter 16

Reagan's POV

I let the two men lead me away from the bar, thoroughly freaked out.

As I'm yanked away, I decide that making a scene or struggling will only result in me ending up with a bullet in my back...

We weave around the many people dancing and no one gives us a second glance

Well then, nice to know they care.

My arms begin to ache from the tight grip the two gorilla twins have on me and I say as much.

"You think you could let up on the grips?" I murmur under my breath.

Gulping at the glares I receive from them, I shut up.

Do you have a death wish Reagan?

We come to a stop in front of the two guards I had spotted earlier by the stairs and the two men holding onto me nod to the guards.The guards step aside, allowing us to pass. The two gorillas resort to pushing me in front of them, as they begin to lead me up the steep, narrow stairs.

Reaching the top in no time, I'm not given time to look around and am immediately dragged towards a hallway. We enter the hallway and soon the deafening music of the club fades to a slight beat.

Like a heartbeat.

Or maybe that's mine?

As we walk, I can't help but notice that the hall looks like one from an expensive hotel. Fancy red carpets, faintly glowing lamps fastened to the cream colored walls...but what catches my attention are the many pictures hanging next to the lamps.

Artfully framed and displayed, I can only stare at them as we pass.

Having taken art history my junior year, I recognize some as famous pieces.

Staring some more, I'm not entirely convinced they're fakes....

They look too real to be fakes and I can make out the faint brush strokes on the paintings.

Maybe I had fallen into the clutches of Michelangelo's evil twin?

Okay Reagan, you are NOT funny.

I grimace and glance forward again.

Abruptly, I realize that we've reached the end of the hall and my heart starts thumping once again.

Hands still locked firmly on my arms, I'm shoved towards another set of stairs, these ones leading down.

Down?

Frowning slightly, I guess that there must be an underground section to the club. I swallow hard as I realize what this means. There will only be one exit, and it doesn't look like I'll be reaching it soon.

Well there goes Plan A. Run like hell.

At least there's 25 more letters in the alphabet...I'll start panicking when I reach Plan Z.

I mentally face-palm myself, before letting out a quiet sigh.

The stairs going down lead to yet another hallway and I wince at the look of this one.

Narrow concrete walls close in and I suddenly feel claustrophobic.

We pass a few men standing stoically in front of sealed doors and I gulp as I see that these men are armed with heavy guns.

Shit.

Fear courses through me as I realize this is no game and this situation has just gotten even more serious.