Chapter 11

I wake to the sound of children's laughter and am disoriented before remembering I had driven to a park in the middle of the city and crashed for the night. The painful process of checking into another motel too imposing.

Children run around the lush emerald trees playing tag, their young mother's eyes watchful. The sun shines high in the clear sky and I check the time.

11:34 a.m.

I rub my eyes as I kick myself for having slept so long. Still not fully awake my inner voice takes over.

What are you doing, Reagan? You're in an unknown city. Not to mention Chicago of all places,trying to play detective. That's real smart.

Annoyed, I push the voice to the corner of my mind before I can actually start listening to it.

Starting up the car, I purse my lips as I ponder where to go now. Home isn't an option, I'm not about to give up, even if I am feeling a bit shaken and discouraged after last night. I've hit a dead end, but I'm definitely not going back to the police station, especially after my last "Oh so helpful" trip.

Wait!

Mention of the police station jolts my sleep ridden brain into remembering the newspaper I'd found on the way out. Digging through the glove box, I find the wrinkled newspaper which I'd unceremoniously shoved there.

Scanning the article again, the name of the accused football player catches my attention. Mitchell Hendricks.

Why does it sound so familiar? Maybe Amanda's mentioned him before?

Pulling out my phone I send Amanda a quick text.

Know any Mitchell Hendricks?

Her reply is almost instant.

Not personally, but I do know his sister. Cassidy Hendricks. She was in my English class, we used to hang out. Any reason as to why you're asking?

My fingers hover over the keypad as I contemplate how much to reveal. After typing up what I hope is an agreeable response, I hit send.

I was just wondering, someone mentioned Mitchell and I thought his name sounded familiar. Would you happen to know Cassidy's address?

This time Amanda's reply takes a few minutes, and I begin to fidget, but finally my phone chimes with the arrival of her text.

It's Apartment 9, building 206 on Leiter Road. I don't know why you want to know but I trust you...

I chew my lip as I look at Amanda's text guiltily. She trusts me...and I'm about to go on a little interrogation mission. Sending Amanda a quick thanks, I head towards Cassidy Hendrick's apartment before my conscience can catch up with me.

********************************

Too soon I'm staring at Apartment building 206 and trying to get up enough nerve to go inside. The street itself seems calm enough, with decent looking apartments on either side.

Finally, taking a deep breath, I sidle up the apartment's steps and straighten out my clothes before knocking on Apartment #9's door. I wring out my hands, nervous, and take a step back as the door opens to omit a girl in her early twenties. Her hair is a curly red mess, nose is splattered with freckles, and green eyes narrow slightly as she takes me in.

"Can I help you?"

I flinch at her cool tone but put on what I hope is an innocent smile. "Are you Cassidy Hendricks?"

Whispers Of Spilt BloodOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara