Chapter 2: Melody of Despair

Yes, it is the 'saint' Olivia. Having a magic power of approximately one million, it is no wonder that even a voice made Mareine have a shiver down to her spine.

'T-The s-saint-?!' She seemed to be in trouble.

«Yes, it is me.»

'How can you talk inside my mind? Wait, am I crazy? I must be tired!'

«Did you forget?»

Before Mareine was send to Apollo, the neighboring country,

Together, we shake hands. She then closed back her face with the veil back and cast some spell on me.

"It's just some place detection spell. No need to feel threatened." She explained.

And that's what happened.

【 Unknown Skill Detected 】

'A skill? Then remove it!' She thought hastily then, she shouted- "LUCIFER!", The three people that were near her jolted in surprise.

「 Unsuccessful. 」

'What? It cannot be dispelled? Why?' She was confused. She never experienced something like this before.

She tried again,

"URIEL: Proteger!"

「 Unsuccessful. 」

She was like an angel when casting this skill. Glowing in white like the fire of the bonfire in front of them. Nevertheless, the same outcome. It wouldn't work to someone who is in a higher position.

«It's useless. I am a saint.»

'So what if you are a saint?' She replied back.

«I have something to tell you. Stop de-spelling the skill. It cannot be removed unless you have the same title as me.»

Mareine was caught up by the voice inside her head, but she soon got back to her senses when Sebris, Staz, and even Haruke had a bad complexion.

Their skin starts to go white and they seem to feel weakened. Even Staz and Sebris start to breathe heavily.

"What's the matter with you everyone?" Mareine asked, worried and troubled.

"I-It is nothing.... nothing at all, master." Sebris answered while Haruke didn't reply but was lowering his head.

"Haah... That hurt what a shit." Staz muttered. "Hey kid, you know that we are connected to you right?"

"...Huh? Well, the answer is yes."

"Then cut the crap and don't use some skills that can drain us and our life!!" He explained his furry.

The pain they're feeling was because of Mareine- the marionettist; the one who controls the puppet which was them.

Being a puppet however doesn't put the same situation as the holder.

Mariene who controls all of them and had all their strings was due to her Ultimate Skill: The Controller, (Lucifer). Because of this skill, human puppets were made.

That's the problem. If Mareine disables this skill or if it suddenly vanishes, then the puppets that were brought back to life by Lucifer will disappear too.

The same things happened when switching the skills. Passive skills- be it an ultimate skill or a common one- will always be active depending on whatever the owner likes.

And the puppets that were binded from Lucifer were also in the same concept as Lucifer, which was, from the name itself, the dark or black concept.

Black and white cannot be mixed. That's the natural law of this world. That is why the saintess once was astounded looking at Mareine.

Lord of Hope, (Uriel) is in the light concept- Using this skill won't hurt Mareine but since Lucifer has always been active, her puppets were also present too- this makes a discomfiting pain to Mareine's puppet.

Black and White cannot be mixed after all.

This is the unfair system of the Puppeteer and the puppets. It's the opposite of the summoner and the summon.

Mareine and her puppets were connected, but that doesn't make the puppet the same place as Mareine, the puppeteer.

«You are hurting your puppets too. If you had puppets.»

Mareine didn't mind the voice inside her head.

'But 'Peace Alleviation' from Lord of Hope, (Chamuel) didn't hurt them?' She heavily thinks of it.

'Or did I even use 'Peace Alleviation' on them? Come to think of it, whenever I cast 'Peace alleviation' while purifying the water of the lake, I noticed Sebris once getting away from me.....'

«...»

"God damn all of this shit." Staz abruptly open his mouth. "Whether I'm in that World of Puppet skill you have or this world, I always wanted to rather die than accepting all the commands you said!"

Mareine was shocked. Staz never made a statement like this before in the past weeks he grouped with Mareine.

"Screw you! Our lord will definitely kill you and get us back!"

Perhaps because Sebris and Haruke were once in a group with Staz as a group, the two of them didn't stand up this time.

"Shit, you stole MY ULTIMATE SKILL!"

A screen appeared multiple times flicking in front of my eyes.

Bzzt.

【 Abnormal Error Behavior Found 】

「 Puppet Error Diagnostic Found 」

‹ Reason: Contract: Perpetual ›

【 Individual: Sebris with distinctive skill: Defiant is trying to break from Lucifer 】

"WHAT'S HAPPENING!"

Mareine was in panic. With three puppets in front of her acting in strange movements, she jumped in a hurry and tried to get away from them.

But her eyes were still looking at her puppets.

'Is my skill having a bug error? What now? I feel like my mana is being sucked up!' With mouth shaking as she mumbled this sentence, she couldn't figure out what's happening.

【 Error 】

「 Puppet not listening command. Subskill 'Purge' will be activated with the unwilling puppets 」

"W-what?! Don't kill my puppets!" She shouted, "'World of Puppets: return'!"

Bzzzzttt.

「 Error 」

With the struggles she was having, she was on the verge of crying. But a melodic sonata suddenly plays in the background of her despair.

♪♪♪