Summer

***

I fan my hand at my heated face, the slight breeze giving me comfort before said hand grows tired and the heat somehow returns twice as unbearable.

I flop on my back on the bamboo mat with my arms spread out, "ughhhh, I can't... Why don't we have air cons here?"

"Stop complaining," he says as he flips to another page of his insect encyclopedia, the sound nearly drowned out by the screeching of cicadas.

"Who told your dad to hog the fan? I deserve to complain, even a little bit, " I whine, before I turn my eyes to him, where he sits, seemingly not affected, "how are you of all people completely fine with this heat?!"

He rolls his eyes and puts the heavy book down, "sit up, I'll show you."

"This isn't going to be another thing about your beloved insects is it?" I say dryly, but I sit up anyway.

He flushes, "shush! They're awesome!"

"I know all about their 'awesomeness' thanks to your rants, but I think knowing the specific details of several different bee species is a bit much..." I rest my head on his shoulder, "so? What's your magic?"

"Close your eyes."

"This isn't a prank is it? Don't think I didn't know it was you drawing on my face when I was asleep the other day," I raise my head to stare suspiciously at him.

"It wasn't me, it was your brat of a neighbour," he defends automatically.

"You say that every time! I definitely know it was you that time, you drew a butterfly on my face! Nobody but you would draw that kind of thing!"

"It was a moth! They have a difference! Just... close your eyes already!"

I huff, but rest my head back on his shoulder and close my eyes.

"It isn't much of a secret, Raine. Just enjoy the scent of summer," a distant wind chime rings as it announces a soft wind, "The occasional wind is so much more enjoyable isn't it? Focus on the sounds, the cicadas, our neighbours working hard in the fields. Even the birds enjoy this summer, what stops you from doing so as well?," he says gently.

I let my body relax as I listen to his heart thump, a calming rhythm to the background music of summer.

The sticky feeling of sweat is still there, but almost... muted.

Right now, it's only Mallory and I.

"... I guess it's not so bad..." I say after a few moments.

"Right?"

I just can't enjoy it anymore, maybe it's because I can't hear you next to me.

***