Chapter 16: To Be Loved By Two.

Start from the beginning

So, you were already here at that time.

"Then, why didn't you look for me?"

So, the accusations starts...

"Because..." he avoided her eyes. "I didn't trust you..."

Believing that she had written those letters and left them then, Akashi had not looked for her. What could he say to someone who had so mercilessly left without a word to bring her back ? He could only wait for her to appear by herself.

While he was feeling guilty, Keiko did not blame him. After all, he had already apologize for that matter and she had long forgiven him.

In fact, knowing that the boy from her last life had been there beside her all these while, that someone who had experienced the same unbelievable thing was accompanying her, that she had not been as alone as she had thought left a warmth in her heart.

A warmth that made her want to crumble down and cry about how hard things had been for her.

But... there was just one thing.

She really, really did not want to give him any fake hope.

'I have never been this uncertain about something but this time... I really don't know if I can overcome my illness.

Even if I could, that long journey to recovery... who am I to hold up your time like this?'

"If you're talking about the Championship final, I believe I've already told you."

Akashi Seijuro did not like the sudden return to this topic nor the coldness in her eyes. It reminded him of that exact moment when she had pushed him away just as she was doing now.

"Kei-..."

"My skills were lacking. That's all there was to it."

The hand around Keiko's wrist tightened as his voice raised with rare desperation. "You know that wasn't it! Do you think I can't tell when you're not using your full strength? Why? You clearly said that you have come back to change us. This time as well, are you going to do the same?"

"No, this time is different." Even as a red marking made by his grasp appeared, she did not pull away. He should be able to hate her all he wanted. "I won't lose a second time.

"Why? What's different this time?" He did not understand. Why did she even lose in the first place the previous time?

"Because this time," she finally looked into his eyes. "I am not arrogant enough to make the same bet with you."

'If I win in the match against you, can you return to my side?'

Without such a bet, a victory on my side will not mean a chain tying you down on your side.

"You..." from Akashi's point of view, he had just been abandoned a second time. "Just how unwilling are you to accept me again?"

Do you not need me to return to your side anymore?

"That's why, go." As soon as she turned her back to him, exhaustion appeared on her face. So, pushing away someone you love turned out to be such an exhausting thing. "When our match ends, I don't want to see you ever again."

She distinctly felt his hand sliding down her wrist. She knew that his head had slumped down in dejection, knew that her words had hurt him greatly and yet, she could only bit her lips and hope that her legs could be fast enough to bring her inside the house before her regrets caught up.