Do You Trust Me?

1983

Annie slept for about five minutes before James came in and poured water on her face.

"What the fuck?" She groaned, wiping her burning eyes. "You got it in my nose!" She winced at the burn it sent through her throat.

"You weren't supposed to fall asleep." He mumbled, messing around with something on his dresser. "What're you doing?" She asked, rolling off the bed and approaching him, grabbing onto his shoulder for support.

"Oh." She smirked when he revealed a joint in his hands. "C'mon." He grinned.

They brushed through the crowd, out to the backyard and flopped onto the grass, passing it back and forth.

"You ever think about how we could've met differently?" James piped up randomly, looking over at her as she exhaled the smoke. "Like.. by not hating each other?"

"Yeah.."

"No, not really. I have fond memories, I wouldn't have it any other way." She chuckled.

"Yeah? Like what?" He snorted. "Like when we almost died in a crash?"

"Yes, actually. If I'm gonna die, I'd rather it be with someone I care about." She blurted.

"You care about me?" He whipped his head in her direction again, trying to hide his grin. "Yeah, of course. Just like how I care about Kirk and Bea and everybody else. Don't flatter yourself." She scoffed.

He grumbled something under his breath in response before it went silent for a few minutes.

"So you do care about me?" He whispered, turning his body to fully face her. "Yeah..?" She furrowed her brows.

James didn't respond but kept his dark eyes locked on hers as he took the joint from her hand and inhaled deeply.

"Do you trust me?" He leaned a little closer. She felt her heartbeat quicken at the look he was giving her. "What're you asking stupid fuckin' questions for?" She asked.

"Do you trust me?" He repeated. All the thoughts left her brain as he grabbed her chin to part her lips, exhaling the smoke into her mouth. "James, what are-" she mumbled. Her saying his first name only pushed him further as he cut her off, pressing his lips against hers.

Her body stiffened upon impact and she pulled back only for him to press the kiss harder until her head rested against the ground. She reciprocated and felt her heart beat at two hundred miles an hour. It was a new sensation that she'd never felt before. One she never expected to feel. Ever.

James was shocked she was actually kissing back. Holy shit, we're kissing! he thought.

Holy shit... we're kissing...

They were kissing.

Annie put her hands onto his chest as she pushed him away and mumbled into the kiss. "James." She finally disconnected their lips, catching her breath. They stared at each other for a moment before Annie slid out from under him, sitting upright in the grass. "What the..." she trailed off. Her breathing picked up and her eyes widened a bit as she realized what just happened.

"Shit... I- um..." he stuttered breathlessly, moving to sit upright like she did. They sat a few feet away looking at each other warily before Annie scrambled to her feet, dusting off her shorts and making a break for the house.

"Buckley, hold on!" James shouted after her, rushing to his feet. "Anneliese!" Her name rolled right off his tongue as he began speeding toward her. "Hold on-" He said before stopping, sighing heavily and rubbing his temples.

"Fucking stupid." He muttered to himself, trudging back up to the house.

Annie pulled the sliding glass door open and only began hyperventilating even more as she saw all the bodies crowding the house.

"Annie, you okay?" Logan appeared next to her, grabbing her arms. "No- yeah, I-" she was cut off by him pulling her in a different direction. "C'mere." She was pressed against his chest as he led her toward the bathroom. "Logan, stop." She managed to get out.

When he ignored her, she yanked her arms out of his grasp and backed up, only to bump into a random person. "Watch where you're going."

Stumbling into the living room, she searched for Beatrice.

"Annie, what's wrong?" Logan came up behind her again. "I can't breathe!" She cried, smacking his hands away once more. "I'm going home." She announced to no one in particular as she walked toward the door.

She walked the short distance home and flopped on the couch, falling asleep only a few minutes later.

double update tonight :) be ready
Vote, comment, follow 🤍