Part 33: In Disguise

Emily got a ride home with Leetsa's cousin on the day of the carnival. They drove around the block a couple times, keeping an eye out for that ominous black sedan. Emily also watched for the spiky muddy-hued aura left in the wake of nefarious characters.

All clear. The neighborhood looked as quiet and peaceful as it ought. They pulled up across the street, in front of Margret's house.

"Thanks!" Emily said as she got out. "Good luck on your mid-term."

Margret stood in her open door. "About time! Get in here. I've got your costume ready. What have you done with your hair? I didn't recognize you at first! Not still paranoid, are you? Going around in disguise?"

"No!" Emily laughed. She undid her herchief and let her bird's nest of tiny braids spill out. "I'll pick these loose. Won't take long. Makes an amazing wild mane to poof out beneath the scarf."

Her friend decked her out in a gypsy woman's garb. All attired to Margret's satisfaction, Emily stood in front of the mirror, picking out another braid.

"Won't take long, hmm?" Margret swathed her head in a makeshift turban.

"Fussing with hair makes my arms tired," Emily said. "I normally just give it a good combing and pin it up. Must be exhausting to go with those fashionable hair styles."

"That's what hairdressers are for. Now these." Margret held out huge hoop earrings.

"No, my ears aren't pierced. This will have to be enough."

"Don't forget your crystal ball." Margret pointed to a basket holding a large snowglobe. "Let's get going! Almost time for the carnival to begin."

They piled into Margret's car and set off for the fair grounds.

.

prompt: tired

Emily's tale will go on hold for a few weeks, but don't worry, I'm not tired of the story! I am tired of packing and cleaning, but will get back to Gossamer when I have internet up and running at our new place.