The Unexpected Valentine

Summary: The interns celebrate their first Valentine's Day in Boston, and it'sfull of surprises.

The nurses' stations on almost every floor were festooned in pink and white paper hearts. Some diehard romantics wore red heart pins on their scrubs, while others smiled more than usual, humming jaunty tunes as they did their work.

Valentine's Day wasn't until the end of the week, but that didn't stop people from getting into the spirit early. Nurse Sarah was responsible for this year's resident Secret Valentine Exchange and was determined to make it the best one yet.

All she needed was to track down one stubborn intern that had managed to avoid detection. But Sarah was on a mission, and nothing or no one would get in her way.

Cassie Valentine wasn't thinking of anything but her latest patient. She was working with a new attending, one who seemed to disappear whenever she needed guidance. She was a February intern and could fly solo easily for less complicated cases. This case was anything but usual.

She missed working with Dr. Ramsey, even if the man was more likely to ask questions than provide answers. But at least his questions pushed her to think out of the box. Not go round and round in circles.

Lost in thought, she didn't notice someone chasing her or calling her name until a hand fell on her shoulder. Startled, she turned her head to see Nurse Sarah breathing heavily and clutching her waist as if she had a stitch on the side.

"Wow, you're a really fast walker," Sarah huffed. "I chased you down two hallways, and you're not even winded."

Cassie knew she'd been practically running, as she often did when thinking, and felt sorry for the other woman.

"I'm sorry, Sarah. I was lost in thought," Cassie said sincerely. "How can I help?"

Sarah held out a post-it note and pen. "You haven't entered your name in the Secret Valentine Exchange. Today is the last day. We'll pick names at the end of shift."

"Yeah, I don't do V-Day," Cassie said, not even bothering to hide her disdain for the holiday, which wasn't really a holiday but a marketing gimmick.

"But your last name is Valentine," Sarah sputtered.

Cassie just knew this would come up. She loved romance, but all her life, she had to contend with people making fun as soon as February started because of the peculiarity of her last name.

She lifted her chin mulishly. "Your point is...?"

"It's practically your day," Sarah said in a tone that implied it should be obvious. And then she waved her hand dismissively. "Anyway, everyone else is signed up, and the numbers will be uneven if you don't. So, it's required."

Cassie wanted to argue and stick to her principles, but Sarah's determined expression told her there was no point. That didn't mean she would take it lying down. She took the post-it and pen, scribbled a name, and handed Sarah the folded paper.

Smugly satisfied, Sarah thanked her and returned to her station.

"What was that about?"

Thinking she was alone, Cassie practically jumped at the masculine voice behind her. She glanced over her shoulder to see Ethan standing in the patient room doorway.

Her heart skipped a beat as it often did in his presence, and her green eyes filled with longing before she schooled her features into a neutral expression.

"Stupid Valentine's Day," she muttered under her breath.

He must have had bat ears because he heard her clearly. The quick, amused grin that flashed across his face was disarming, as was the warmth in his blue eyes. Despite her best intentions to keep things professional, she was charmed and wished he would smile more.