Forevermore

Summary: When Ethan Ramsey's mother walked out on her family 25 years ago, he promised to never get close enough to anyone that could hurt him. With her return, he's reminded of that vow and wonders if he can risk his heart again.

Ethan Ramsey was five years old when he saw his parents kissing under the mistletoe as "Silent Night" played softly in the background and shadows danced on the wall lit by the flames in the ancient fireplace. His tummy felt funny as if there were butterflies inside, but it was also a nice feeling.

On the mantle hung three large stockings marked with large letters that he was just beginning to learn to read. Mommy had told him the letters represented (whatever that meant) the three of them – A for Alan, L for Louise and E for Ethan. But as his small fingers traced the raised edges before hanging them up, he wondered if there would be a fourth letter next Christmas.

He had asked Santa for a baby brother last year ─ he would grudgingly accept a sister, but really did prefer a brother because girls were gross ─ but hadn't found anything when he'd torn into the neatly wrapped packages under the tree. He had wanted to cry because he thought Santa forgot or maybe he just hadn't received his letter. He knew he should have added more stamps. After all, the North Pole was quite far from where he lived.

So, this year he insisted on adding double the number of stamps, even when Daddy had said it wasn't needed. Just to be safe, he would also whisper his wish to Santa in person when they visited his grotto later that week. As far as Ethan was concerned, when it came to getting a baby brother, one had to be "pur-sis-tent."

He didn't know exactly what that meant, but he'd heard Mommy say that he was like that when he wanted something badly. And he really, really wanted a baby brother so that's what he would do.

He would love his brother just as Mommy and Daddy loved each other and him.

----------

Ethan was seven years old when he woke from a nightmare. He knew he should be too old to be afraid of the dark, and his friends would surely tease him if they knew, but he was scared of the monsters hiding in the shadows. With tears running down his face, he hugged Teddy, the stuffed bear that had been his friend from before he could remember, and wished his mom was there to hold him.

As if in a dream, the door to his bedroom opened quietly, the light from the hallway casting whoever entered in darkness. He was scared, but only for a minute, as he recognized his mother's scent and saw her tiptoe across the semi-darkness to his bedside.

"Are you afraid, baby?" she asked, wrapping her arms around him as she rocked him gently.

Mommy looked tired and was still wearing the clothes she had on in the morning when she left for work. Ethan didn't know why she was always working, but at least his Daddy was home to play with him.

"I had a bad dream," he sniffed back the tears, feeling safe as her scent embraced him.

"Everything okay, Lou?" Ethan turned as his father stepped inside the room.

"Just a bad dream, Alan," she smiled sweetly up at his dad and Ethan's heart felt full.

He wished that someday someone would smile at him that way. He still thought girls were gross, but maybe not all girls. Annie in his class had the prettiest smile. He liked pulling her pigtails and how she chased him around the playground when he did that.

Ethan burrowed deeper as his father came around the bed and sat down beside him, spreading his arms wide to surround both him and Mommy.

"This calls for a Ramsey Sandwich," his father said, laughing at the old joke. It didn't get funnier with time, but Ethan still couldn't help the giggle that escaped his lips.