First Impressions

Summary: A reimagining of the first day at Edenbrook and first impressions for both Ethan Ramsey and Cassie Valentine.

Cassie Valentine was not a morning person unlike her brother Max who was up at dawn every day ready to conquer the day

Cassie Valentine was not a morning person unlike her brother Max who was up at dawn every day ready to conquer the day. She wanted to conquer it too, just at a more decent hour than 6 freakin' am. Still, she was finally here at Edenbrook and would, hopefully, get to work with Ethan Ramsey, her inspiration for this life-altering decision. Just knowing that he would be in the same hospital caused butterflies in her stomach. She had once seen a picture of him online, but it had been super blurry and all she got was an impression of aloofness. Someone that smart must have a million brilliant things on his mind. She just had to leave a great first impression and maybe he'd agree to mentor her.

She watched the flickering lights in the subway and tried to stretch her back in the crowded space. She had wanted to start her new life as a doctor on the same footing as her peers. This meant leaving her trust fund untouched and renting an apartment on an intern's salary. The listing on the social media group she'd joined hadn't looked so bad. Of course, if she'd known she'd be living it Harry Potter style under a busy stairway, she'd have taken up Max's recommendation to have his realtor friend find something decent in her price range near the hospital. Those stubborn Valentine genes had inconveniently reared their head and she'd said, "I want to do this on my own and not as a Valentine."

Her train pulled up at the station closest to Edenbrook and she joined the masses exiting to the street. She checked her watch and started walking a little faster when she realized she would be late for orientation. She still had to get her ID made and who knew how long that would take. Her phone signaled a text and she smiled when she saw it was from Max. 

After changing into scrubs and getting her ID (she might or might not have spent a few minutes admiring the words "Dr Cassie Valentine" on the plastic badge), Cassie cut through the waiting room that one of the orderlies told her was a shortcut to...

After changing into scrubs and getting her ID (she might or might not have spent a few minutes admiring the words "Dr Cassie Valentine" on the plastic badge), Cassie cut through the waiting room that one of the orderlies told her was a shortcut to the atrium where her orientation would take place. She heard a gasp and turned to see a woman falling off the chair.

"Step back. I'm a doctor," she said rushing to the woman's side.

From the corner of her eye, she saw someone in a white coat do the same. They both reached the patient at the same time and she got her first look at the other doctor. He was tall with dark brown hair that looked effortless styled and the most piercing blue eyes she had ever seen. To say that he was gorgeous was an understatement and she felt herself getting tongue-tied.