Lost and Found

Summary: Cassie and Max celebrate their birthday under the Northern Lights andhave a heart to heart about what's happening in their lives.

Cassie Valentine lay on her back watching the green, red and sometimes yellow-gold lights swirling in the night sky above. Her eyes were round with wonder as she watched the phenomenon known as aurora borealis brighten up the atmosphere above the glass-domed ceiling in a way that she could have never imagined just from photographs.

"It's gorgeous, isn't it?"

She turned at the sound of her twin brother, Max, who lay on the bed beside her, one arm folded beneath his head, his eyes stayed locked on the undulating waves outside.

"Best birthday ever," she exclaimed, smiling when he turned his head to grin back at her.

"Despite the cold?" he teased remembering how much she had complained at the below freezing temperatures in the Arctic circle this time of year.

"Well..." she prevaricated before bursting into giggles. "I couldn't live like this all the time, but for three days and this sight? Absolutely!"

The smile spread to his eyes as he blinked in agreement before turning back to watch nature's light show. Max pulled out his cell phone, adjusting the settings on the camera app to capture the green wall of dancing lights in mid motion and then on video.

"Selfie time," said Cassie, tugging him up to sit beside her as they both turned to face the camera lens, heads together, with the Northern Lights framed behind them.

After a few tries, she was satisfied with how the pictures turned out and pulled up the Pictagram app to post the best one. She changed the caption wording three times before she was happy and pressed the publish button.

"Want one?" he offered her the chocolate chip macadamia nut cookies Sienna had sent with Cassie as a birthday present.

"Don't mind if I do," replied Cassie with gusto as she took one before he changed his mind.

These cookies were his favorite, and she knew how touched he'd been that Sienna cared enough to bake them just for him. She bit into the gooey center, enjoying the nutty crunch and explosion of flavor in her mouth.

"I swear, she could make a killing with these," said Max as he finished the last piece in two quick bites.

"She'd rather bake them for her friends," said Cassie, smiling as she imagined Sienna happiest when concocting recipes in their kitchen.

Max checked his wristwatch and then reached for the bottle of champagne chilling in the bucket behind them. Cassie grabbed the two flutes, handing him one as he popped the cork.

"Happy Birthday, sis!" he said, his lips bussing her cheeks, his glass clinking against hers.

"Happy Birthday, big brother!" she grinned, falling back on the old joke between them. "You're the best brother a girl could ever have."

He raised his flute in a toast. "Right back atcha!"

"Right on time," he said as both their phones signalled an incoming text.

"They never fail," said Cassie reading the message from their parents in the group chat.

"They're the best," said Max, tapping out a reply while she did the same, promising to call them later during the day.

For the next few minutes, they both enjoyed the bubbly drink in silence, lost in the view. The glass igloo was warm despite the cold outside and the quiet soothing even though it should have been eerie.