Full Circle

Summary: Ethan meets someone from his past and realizes life is full of surprises.

Ethan Ramsey hated the pink Polo shirt with a passion he usually reserved for stupid people. At least the black pleated shorts that formed the bottom half of his uniform were comfortable.

It was the summer after his freshman year at Brown, and he'd started a summer job at the yacht club in Newport a few weeks ago. It was good money, especially with the generous tips left by the club's wealthy patrons, and helped cover his insurance and gas commuting from Providence.

Ethan had initially thought of staying in town, but the influx of summer visitors meant accommodation was hard to find and expensive. He needed to save most of his paycheck for school. Textbooks were expensive, and jobs on or off campus were not as plentiful as he'd hoped.

At least, his dad's friend had given the '91 Ford Taurus he'd picked up for a song a free tune-up. So Ethan no longer worried about getting stranded on the road. The car was basic, but the stereo worked, and the back seat was roomy.

Today he was assigned to the docks, helping people moor their boats or cast off. So far, all he'd done was run up and down the dock serving as an errand boy and working up a sweat under the bright sun.

He checked his wristwatch and sighed in relief when he realized his break wasn't far. Some shade, cool lemonade and a chance to flirt with the delectable Amy. She'd been hinting all week that she wouldn't be averse to some fun in the backseat of his car.

Breaktime was five minutes away when a sailing boat pulled into the marina. It was a relatively small vessel, built for serious sailing with a tall mast and crisp white sails.

Ethan shaded his eyes with one hand as he watched a man on deck prepare for docking. He expertly tied the lines around the bow and then the stern, moving fast and dexterously from one end to the other.

As the boat drew parallel to the dock, the man stood at the lifeline gate, mooring lines in hand. Ethan grabbed the rope the man tossed and quickly wrapped it around the mooring ring. He recited the steps he'd been taught under his breath so as not to mess up.

It was not lost on him that these boats cost more money than he'd ever seen in his lifetime. He certainly couldn't afford to cover the cost if anything happened, not even a scratch.

"You're good," said the man as he leaped onto the dock. "But the knot needs to be tighter for a boat like this. May I?"

At the other man's signal, Ethan moved back and let him take over. He watched the sailor crouch on one knee, partially untie the dock lines and then retie the knot, testing to make sure the boat was secure. All the while, he explained what he was doing and why, sounding almost like one of his professors.

Ethan thought the man might be in his mid to late thirties, slightly younger than his own father. His blond hair was ruffled from the wind and glistened under the sun. His eyes were hidden behind aviator sunglasses, but his voice was gentle and patient, unlike others he'd met since starting work here.

"Thank you, Sir," Ethan said when the man straightened and stood to full height. "I've never done something like this before."

"Call me Robert," the man said, a half-smile hovering on his lips. "Well, now you'll know how for next time."

He raised one arm to wipe the sweat off his forehead. The edge of a gauzy bandage was visible below the short sleeves of his shirt, and a trickle of blood dripped down.

"You're bleeding," Ethan commented, automatically reaching for the man's injured arm to turn it up and push back the sleeve.

"Ah, crap," Robert cursed, removing his sunglasses and frowning as blood soiled his white shirt. "I nicked it earlier on one of the mast hooks. Thought I'd done a good enough job with first aid, but guess not."