Instead, she did her best to accompany a guilt ridden Matt Donovan who blamed himself for the doppelganger's death. He had been checked into the hospital after the accident, but thankfully, he was good to leave.

"Elena doesn't want to be a vampire," he said.

"She doesn't want to be dead, and now she's not. This isn't your fault, Matt," Caroline pointed out.

"It's all my fault. I was driving. I was saved. She's a vampire because of me!"

"No, she's not. It was Rebekah who ran you off the road," Beth intervened.

"And cool it with the v word. I'm a fugitive, remember? I'm supposed to be halfway to Florida by now."

"If the council is after you, then why are you still here?" The boy asked.

"Because I don't know where to go," she said as tears began to form in her eyes, "Tyler's dead, and everything's different now."

Beth and Matt both hugged their friend reassuringly before the strawberry blonde spoke, "I'll leave with you. I need to get out of here for a while."

"What about your dad?"

"Turns out, he had left on a trip out of the country before anybody could tell him I was dead. So he's going to be gone a while."

"I'm sorry," she said, "But okay. We can leave together."

Before Beth could respond, Caroline rushed them out of the hospital room. "What was that?" She asked.

"The council. They're in the hospital. We have to leave. Now."

So the two did just that. Caroline accompanied Beth to her house to gather a bag with necessities before they did the same for the vampire.

Caroline rushed through the house, gathering clothes, a curling iron, and other products in her duffelbag.

"How does it work? Are you like a vampire now?" The blonde questioned.

"No. First off, a stake wouldn't kill me. I'm stronger than a human but less than a vampire. Same thing for speed. Anything other than silver in my heart heals. Other things that usually kill people like suffocating kind of kill me, but then I wake up. I learned that the hard way."

Before Caroline spoke, her phone rang. It was her mom. She motioned to the girl to hurry, and they began to head towards her door as she spoke with Liz Forbes on speaker.

"Mom, hey!"

"Caroline, where are you? And tell me it's far away?"

"Where am I? Uh, good question," she said, looking over at her friend, "Beth, any idea?"

"Uh... no. No idea, there's just a whole lot of highways," she lied into the phone.

"Why is everything okay?" Caroline asked as they walked out of the house. The blonde turned to lock the door when Beth noticed someone behind them.

"Care, look out!" She yelled, but she noticed far too late, and a vervain needle was inserted in her friend's neck.

Caroline dropped her phone as she collapsed from the poison. Beth rushed to push back the council member, who attacked her. He fell onto the floor, but another came up from behind her.