Seventeen: The Message

Začít od začátku

Before Harriet could answer, Esma hurriedly darted in smiling sheepishly, her posture slumped and clothing slightly disheveled. "Forgive my tardiness, I was busy with his lordship."

The luxurious woman in her gold jewelry and bright wardrobe, looked rather unruly, cheeks red, and lips fuller than usual, and Harriet pondered on what exactly Lady Esma and his lordship were busy with, but she chose to remain oblivious to her curiosity.

Harriet, answering Felicity's earlier question, walked over with a book in hand and put it on Esma's head. "I think today we will all help Lady Rathborne master her poise and grace."

Felicity's sharp features morphed from boredom to excitement while Helen and Anne swiped their ribbons away, clapping their hands. Esma on the other hand seemed confused, but a light comforting hand on her shoulder from Harriet made her smile.

"I'm guessing this is a lesson strictly for me." Esma laughed out.

The book wobbled on Esma's head and Harriet came up behind her, fixing her posture. "My lady, for the days to come, it will be very important for you to demonstrate your poise and fluidity to everyone, especially her majesty."

"Why is that so important?" Esma asked in slight annoyance. "They are all going to gawk at me as if I am a nude statue anyway."

The girls giggled at that, while Harriet held hers back. "Most of them will be coming to see the mysterious beauty who whisked away Lord Rathborne, so you need to properly present yourself."

"I am not able to be myself?" Esma regarded with a quizzical bold brow. She was splayed in a more conservative attire with only a few gold pieces of jewelry and a simple mauve skirt and white ruffled blouse.

"Always be yourself, my lady," Harriet replied with a smile and a twinge of guilt. "I'm simply making suggestions."

Esma straightened her shoulders. "Oh, and I greatly appreciate it. And I must agree I will need all the poise and grace you can bestow on me, Miss Morgan... especially with what gown I plan on wearing to meet her royal highness."

"Oh, it is so beautiful, Harriet! Have you seen it?" Anne asked.

Harriet nodded. She had tried talking Esma out of the gown and jewelry she chose for the occasion, but she had to admire the Roma woman's boldness at wanting to display her heritage, unashamed. If anything, Harriet envied her confidence and she wanted to protect it.

"Try gliding and keeping the book still on your head," Harriet ordered.

"It is all in the stomach," Helen chirped out. Harriet narrowed her eyes at Helen who bit her lip playfully, knowing full well women never discuss certain body parts.

"Don't focus on your feet too much," Anne added.

Grabbing her own book, Felicity stood next to Esma and for a moment, Harriet admired the young girl with her slender figure and assured presence. Felicity was almost a head taller the Esma and she was once picked on for her height, but she had grown into an intimidating beauty that men won't help but notice. The only thing she needed to work on was the sneer she would dawn on her lips whenever she felt uncomfortable in a room.

"And don't focus on balance too much. Just try to walk as if you were on water," Anne said.

"Like Jesus!" Esma stated.

Rosa came next to Harriet and picked up a book to put on her head. "May I join in on the fun?"

Harriet smiled, a lightness blooming in her at her darling pupil finally talking to her. "I don't see why not, but you already possess enough grace and poise."