Chapter 64 - Mae Day

Start from the beginning

He had only just shut the alarm off when his phone rang and he was back to 'business Lee'. He leapt out of the bed in all his naked glory and headed towards the bathroom with his phone attached to his ear. That was that, no morning glory for me.

I felt a bit silly being naked on my own so threw on something quick as the least I could do was make him breakfast. What does he like for breakfast? Does he eat it? Maybe he just drinks coffee? No at the hospital he ate breakfast. By the time I entered the kitchen I had worked myself up into a right state. I decided on coffee, toast and fruit as I'd seen him eat those and knew he liked them.

He entered the kitchen as I was pouring the coffee, his phone still attached to his ear. "I'm leaving now. See you shortly," he said looking rushed as he picked up his tie off the floor from last night and put it on.

My chest felt kicked as my heart sunk further at the thought of him leaving so soon.

"I'm sorry but I have to go. I wish I could stay for breakfast but something urgent has come up," he said coming over to me. I nodded as I looked anywhere but at him so as not to look like a lip wobbling idiot.

He cuddled me to his chest in a goodbye embrace but instead of enjoying it I spent all the time fighting back tears and was relieved when he broke it off as I was two seconds away from melt down.

"Don't look so sad," he said tilting my chin up to look at me. I quickly darted my eyes to look anywhere but directly at his. He pressed a quick kiss to my lips and another to my forehead before grabbing his phone off the table. "I'll try to be back around the same time but I can't guarantee it, so instead of making dinner why don't we go out for some instead," he suggested.

I nodded and tried to smile. With one final quick kiss he was gone and I was left bereft. I walked upstairs, turned on the shower and got in. Somehow crying in the shower seemed ok, kind of like cheating as the tears would wash away. I tried to give myself a good talking to but I missed him. He was gone less than five minutes and I was missing him. I would never have made a military wife. Six months without my husband would be torture. Yes I know I had already been 8 months without him but things were different now. I was different... not human. This empathy stuff made me feel bi-polar!

It felt strange as it was the first time I had admitted to myself that I was 'not human' and I realised how different I felt. I felt like I was in the middle of a spiders web just waiting for the transformation to be complete so I could break free and realise my full potential.

I decided to keep it things simple today. Nice and calm. I hurried into shorts and a string vest as it was sunny out and I needed some colour. I didn't own a bikini to go sun bathing and it was not dark enough to go out naked like last night with Lee on the patio. I laughed at the memory as a knock came to the door.

"Hello?" Uncle called letting himself in.

"Morning," I called as I finished putting the dishes in the sink to wash up.

"So you're alive then," he teased as he walked into the kitchen.

"Yeah just about," I said grinning.

"I come bearing gifts from your husband. He raced over here to see you last night so fast he left these on the table."

He produced a gift bag, some roses and the cutest lion teddy I had ever seen. I rushed over for a closer look. It was adorable. I kissed it, hugged it and was going to put it on our bed for when he got back tonight. Our bed, god that was weird to think of too.

"Here," he said passing me a gift of a heart shaped box of chocolates. I squealed and hugged the heart.

Followed by a gift wrapped box. I opened it. My perfume! I sprayed it on immediately and Uncle approved as I shove my wrist under his nose.

He passed me another smaller box, which I imagined to hold a single heart chocolate or something equally adorable but I gasped. "Are they real?" I asked, not that it mattered but I couldn't help but ask.

Uncle looked over and nodded at the diamond studded earrings.

I stared at them in shock, a hand clasped over my mouth... Teddy, flowers, perfume, chocolate, dia... fucking...monds! I was beyond spoilt.

"I took the liberty of charging this for you as it wasn't wrapped and I thought you would need it today," Uncle said passing me a brand new phone just like his.

"Wow this is all too much. He has..." I was lost for words.

"Spoilt his wife as all men should," Uncle replied. "Plus we are not finished," he handed me a card from the flowers.

I opened it. "To my beautiful wife, I love you xxx" was written in Lee's handwriting. My hand shook as I read it over and over. I had been wondering last night whether he would say it or should I say it to him but I wanted to be 100% sure that if and when I said it, I meant it. As the slightest doubt would feel like lying to him and I would never do that. Having read his message I knew clear as day that I loved him too. I was kicking myself for being to chicken to say it. I love Lee Grayson, I LOVE HIM! I was head over heels in love with Lee Grayson and had been from the start. My sister was right, from the first time we met no man would come close to Lee Grayson in my heart... FUCK! AHHH!!! I was in love!